Slot Auctions Response from my Congressional Rep

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
December 4, 2008

Mr. Douglas Taylor
****Deleted****

Dear Mr. Taylor:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the potential auctioning of arrival and departure slots at Newark Liberty International Airport. I appreciate your sharing your thoughts with me.

As you know, on September 30, 2008, in response to a Congressional request, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) concluded that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) lacked authority to auction arrival and departure slots, as well as retain and/or use any auction proceeds.

Specifically, the GAO said, "in our opinion, FAA lacks a legal basis to go forward with the Newark auction or any other auction, and if FAA were to go forward with auctioning slots without obtaining necessary authority and retained and used the proceeds, GAO would raise exceptions under its account settlement authority for violations of the 'purpose statute,' 31 U.S.C. 1301(a), and the Antideficiency Act, 31 U.S.C. 1341(a)(1)(A)." A full copy of GAO's report can be obtained online at: http://www.gao.gov/decisions/other/316796.pdf.

As a member of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should any related legislation come before the House.

In the meantime, if you would like to receive email updates about how I am working on behalf of Arizona's 5th Congressional District, I invite you to sign up for my newsletter at http://www.mitchell.house.gov
Sincerely,

Harry E. Mitchell
Member of Congress

HEM/mw

"...I'll keep your views in mind..."

But that doesn't mean Dear Constituent that I'll give you any information regarding my position.

WOW! Doug has the ear of some heavy hitters.

Nah, they work for me. And generally if I don't receive a response in a reasonable amount of time, I vote to fire them in the next election cycle. Mc*COUGH* oops, did that slip? ;)

WOW! Doug has the ear of some heavy hitters.

Typical response regarding any issue you write to your congressman about.

Even though the responses are normally not much help, it does make you feel better that they at least wasted an envelope, piece of paper, ink, and stamp on you.

All funded by tax dollars

Which I pay.

One time I sent the same letter to my rep and senator. I didn't receive a response from the rep, which worries me a little. Its all about perception, and the senator gave off the perception that he cared, the rep didnt.

Whether anyone actually did care about what I had to say, who knows.

Waaaaaait. Lemme get this straight here. (not aimed at you Spira!)

I'm not supposed to write because he's got to waste tax (my) dollars in order to reply even though it was an emailed response... and my single letter was supposed to singularly sway his opinion on the issue? I mean, I hope not! :) I really don't want my elected representative voting on a bill to classify non-missionary coital relations as sodomy because a single, angry Quaker grandmother wrote a scathing letter, but it's appropriate that he at least listen to what she had to say.

Am I out to lunch here? :) Speaking of lunch gotta go pick up that pizza! Hoo hoo! Pepperoni, Oyster Mushrooms and a side of buffalo wings, HELL'S YEAH!

I heart vacation.

Nah, they work for me. And generally if I don't receive a response in a reasonable amount of time, I vote to fire them in the next election cycle. Mc*COUGH* oops, did that slip? ;)

Damn straight. They work for us. Kyl has always written me back, but that Mc "guy" has always been too busy to respond.

Back