SLOP.... and YOU!

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
All you wanted to know about SLOP, and more! ;)

[yt]YjG-OlMpUVI&NR[/yt]

So, Doug...

1. Once you enter a NAT Track and decide to fly the offset, must you remain at that offset all the way across without changing distance from the centerline?

I'm guessing that 123.45 is aircraft-to-aircraft communication, so...

2. Is this frequency called "Common"?

3. Is this the only frequency for aircraft-to-aircraft communication across the Atlantic?

Thanks.

So, Doug...

1. Once you enter a NAT Track and decide to fly the offset, must you remain at that offset all the way across without changing distance from the centerline?

Nope. I generally don't fly SLOP. Because if we all flew SLOP (A LOT of guys throw in a couple miles), then there's really no point in flying SLOP, no? :)

I'm guessing that 123.45 is aircraft-to-aircraft communication, so...

2. Is this frequency called "Common"?

Correcto. Usually some Jet Airways guy yakking about how he left CAL and is based in ORD or something like that so I usually de-select it when the non-sequitur chat starts.

3. Is this the only frequency for aircraft-to-aircraft communication across the Atlantic?

Thanks.

Yup, AFAIK!

Here's a question about the radios that's been bugging me (VHF). There is one for the CA and one for the FO on the radio panel. There are speakers inside the cockpit for the radios.

1. So, if both radios are on speaker and are tuned to 123.45, would you still be able to hear that inane chatter if you de-select the frequency on your radio, but the other radio is has the frequency selected?

2. How many fequencies can you listen to simultaneously?

Thanks.

Here's a question about the radios that's been bugging me (VHF). There is one for the CA and one for the FO on the radio panel. There are speakers inside the cockpit for the radios.

1. So, if both radios are on speaker and are tuned to 123.45, would you still be able to hear that inane chatter if you de-select the frequency on your radio, but the other radio is has the frequency selected?

If we both have our speakers on, we can hear whatever the other pilot has selected. I monitor 123.45 MOST of the time, but when people start babbling on and on about junk not related to chop, safety or anything interesting, I'll temporarily deselect it.

2. How many fequencies can you listen to simultaneously?

Thanks.

VHF 1, 2, 3. HF 1 & 2. VOR 1 & 2. ILS 1, 2 & 3 (well, "kinda"), marker beacons, oh it goes on and on. :)

We had "ducks" at Skyway: 122.22

You could say, "Ducks!" on VHF, only those that knew what "ducks" meant knew the frequency and we didn't have to worry about every Maverick, Iceman and Jester listening in on the conversation.

However, Skyway's gone so there's the secret.

I would just like to point out that SLOP offsets are further proof we drive on the "right" side of the road. :p

I would just like to point out that SLOP offsets are further proof we drive on the "right" side of the road. :p

*zoom!*

"Who was that?! WTF?"

"That was Speedbird"

"Daggummit, limeys, offset RIGHT, not left!"

When Patrick from Gander Oceanic said that he observed aircraft offsetting to the left of the track, you kind of get the idea of which airline(s) that would be. *Cough*British Airways*cough* :D

If we both have our speakers on, we can hear whatever the other pilot has selected. I monitor 123.45 MOST of the time, but when people start babbling on and on about junk not related to chop, safety or anything interesting, I'll temporarily deselect it.
Don't do that. Then poor guys like me getting the snot beat out of us at 230 with crappy HF radios can't get a relay on our position reports.

I'm not sure if it's required or 'heavily suggested' (foot stomp), but generally it's 123.45 on the right side and 121.5 on the left while we're in the OCA.

"Yur on GUAAAAAARD!"

"So are you man, sheesh!"

I'm not sure if it's required or 'heavily suggested' (foot stomp), but generally it's 123.45 on the right side and 121.5 on the left while we're in the OCA.

"Yur on GUAAAAAARD!"

"So are you man, sheesh!"
I try and teach that to our guys as it was smashed into my head for 15 years or so. Honestly it's a good thing, never know when a fighter is going to ask who you are (see avatar) :)

Back