SkyWest vs Endeavor Air - 1st dispatch job

DutchArgo

Hello hive mind - I am seeking feedback about working at either SkyWest vs Endeavor Air for a first dispatch job. Quality of training, corporate culture, etc…. Pay is the same to start, so that’s not really a factor on the surface for me. Quality of life in St George vs MSP.. now that may be a topic.

If anyone has input - I very much welcome your thoughts. Thanks.

Sky west:
Training is top notch
Majors love to hire from SKW
St George area is pricey
Might have to take a shuttle to LAS to commute
Your living in a desert
I only hear good things about SKW
More non-rev benefits for traveling
(Las Vegas is a couple of hrs away/National park is there if your into outdoors )

Endeavor:
Training not as good as SKW
Better have a remote start in the winter time
Amazing non-rev Delta benefits
May have a better chance to go to Delta
(doesn’t really matter know because Delta hiring is on the tail end)

End of the day, they’re both regional 121 airline.
Feel like SKW looks better on the resume due to the training . It comes down to if you wanna live in the southwest or Midwest. Can’t go wrong experience is experience

You can't go wrong at either, and I've worked for both. I'd say SkyWest personally. SkyWest operates coast to coast, so the experience is a touch better. Great training program at SkyWest as well, and pretty good management. The management at 9E has changed since I was there and I wasn't there long so I can't comment on them.

St George is boring unless you like outdoors, but MSP is much more expensive in comparison (SGU is getting close sadly). St George is better if you have kids, MSP is better if you are single and want to go out and do single person things. Anecdotally, SkyWest looks better on the resume. If it matters to you, SkyWest doesn't have junior manning and you bid for your line every 3 months rather than every 6 mo, 9 mo, or 1 year as some airlines do.

If both are on the table then it really comes down to what is important to you and the QOL you want

They're both great, skywest I would say has a slight edge in terms of training and good reputation over endeavor, it's pretty negligible

Most likely won't stay at either airline long enough where living is a big issue but if you hate Siberia winters, I would avoid endeavor

Lots of talk about the winter in MSP. I didn't work for Endeavor, but I worked for Compass. I moved to MSP from Dayton, OH and though the winters are colder with more snow, they know how to handle the snow in MSP, so I preferred winter in MSP. One night, it snowed 17 inches while I was working and yet I was still able to make it home with no problems. There are also more indoor parking options at apartment complexes in the area, so it's not as bad as it sounds. I wouldn't let weather affect your decision.

Whichever gives you a class date first so you can start getting some 121 time and then start applying to ULCCs/Legacies asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whichever gives you the offer. If you have one from both then it should be pretty easy to choose since both places are polar opposites. One is a big city with awesome summers and freezing winters, and one is a smaller town with hot summers and nice winters. For me personally Skywest and wouldn’t think twice about it just because I love the nature in Utah. But if you want city life you aren’t gonna enjoy St. George. I will add the majority of the Skywest dispatchers I’ve worked with at my major are really solid and seem to have been trained very well.

Yeah St George is awesome if you like the outdoors. If OO paid like a ULCC I'd make it my permanent home for sure.

Some people think St George is too small, but the only bad thing to me is it is getting way too big. It has seen a ton of growth over the last twenty years.

Lots of talk about the winter in MSP. I didn't work for Endeavor, but I worked for Compass. I moved to MSP from Dayton, OH and though the winters are colder with more snow, they know how to handle the snow in MSP, so I preferred winter in MSP. One night, it snowed 17 inches while I was working and yet I was still able to make it home with no problems. There are also more indoor parking options at apartment complexes in the area, so it's not as bad as it sounds. I wouldn't let weather affect your decision.

When I bid out to MSP in 1991 when I worked for NWA I got there a day before Halloween. It snowed 32 inches on Halloween even MSP as good as they are when it comes to snow preparedness was not prepared for that. I owned a 1984 Toyota Supra and it was horrible driving in regular snow much less snow on top of ice. I lived there 3 years and bid out the sun didn't come out much those 3 years even in the summer. I had fun there but I couldn't live there anymore. I much prefer the desert type climate so if I had to choose I would go to SGU. Again different strokes for different folks.

SKW will probably give you the best foundation for your career. The training is known to be second to none, their dispatchers litter the doormats of AA and WN since long before post Covid dispatch gold rush (which is now over), so I’d expect the road from day 1 to major airline to be back to as competitive as it was pre 2020. AA has 100 retiring of the next 5 years, that a single class of 20 per year.

Besides that, SGU is a very scenic, active, friendly place and such an east company to make great friends at. The UT vibe is a little different but I’m really happy I started my career there.

My thought- if EDV says they'll hire you. Take them. Unless you want to go to SKW instead... Then go there. They pay you in us currency (kinda) and you get experience..

At the end of the day most people go with the first place they get an offer. If you get multiple ones consider yourself lucky...however, with all the recent major hiring it is now sometimes possible to get hired by a carrier like Allegiant right out of school. Apply at everyone who is hiring and good luck!

I worked for SkyWest but not as a dispatcher, so I cannot speak for their dispatcher other than they have a good training program when it comes to dispatch.

I am from Vegas, so I’d go to St George quite often. Southern Utah is much more prettier than MSP. There is lots to do when it comes to the outdoors, Vegas is 2 hours away, Cedar City is 40 minutes away and SLC is 5 hours by car. You can always commute from Mesquite or Cedar City.

St George use to be a small town, still small and is really a college town sort of - it was a much smaller town 10-15 years ago as well as Cedar City which is also a college town also.

Guess the question is, are you from a place that snows? I left SLC because I did not like the snow.

I actually accepted an offer at Skywest....and then got a request for the final-step panel interview (video) with Endeavor. So I don't know if it makes sense to go thru with it unless there is some point in changing. Their class starts Feb. 3 BTW.

it was horrible driving in regular snow much less snow on top of ice.
Kinda why SN over ICE is 1s or NO OPS.
Better have a remote start in the winter time
What is a remote start? Their version of WFH? I'd venture a guess it goes VERY senior due to lack of a commute? I take it some days its easier being at OCC due to being able to walk over to ask MX or sked a question vs trying to raise them on Teams?

Kinda why SN over ICE is 1s or NO OPS.

What is a remote start? Their version of WFH? I'd venture a guess it goes VERY senior due to lack of a commute? I take it some days its easier being at OCC due to being able to walk over to ask MX or sked a question vs trying to raise them on Teams?
A remote start is a device in your car that allows you to start your car from a distance via either a button on your keychain or cell phone app. It allows the car to warm up so that when you get to the car it will be nice and warm for you without you freezing in the car waiting for it to do so.

A remote start is a device in your car that allows you to start your car from a distance via either a button on your keychain or cell phone app. It allows the car to warm up so that when you get to the car it will be nice and warm for you without you freezing in the car waiting for it to do so.
Wow guess I was thinking of COVID times when they have WFH for some 121s.

Back