Signature MIA Flips Over Fuel Truck

flyingpotato

I know sig works their guys and gals hard, they always seem in a frenzied rush at the more busier locales. But this has to be a wake up call, no?

I once saw a sig dude, 13hrs overtime, forget the sequence of turning on a Lectro due to his very visible fatigue. He had a Global to tow...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.49.35.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.49.35.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
So much for the triple brake check for safety.

Also, the driver was not transported for treatment but two others were. How do you have three people injured from this? Did it hit another piece of GSE with two people aboard/ inside?

A half empty fuel truck is the scariest thing I have ever driven.
Fuel trucks, especially 5000 gal+ with three axles are top heavy when full, but when they're half full, as @ASpilot2be has said, you better be ready for the fuel sloshing around. If you drive a fuel truck for a while you realize it's so heavy it can barely get out of its own way, if you jump into one with a half full tank it might seem "sporty" and I suspect that might be what happened here.

It is "a thing."

O'Hare, September 2010

Key West, June 2017

Palm Beach, December 2017

Knoxville, March 2018

Palm Beach, December 2019

Dallas-Fort Worth, December 2019

San Diego, August 2022

JFK, December 2023

Phoenix-Mesa Gateway, December 2023

Fort Belvoir, March 2024

So much for the triple brake check for safety.

Also, the driver was not transported for treatment but two others were. How do you have three people injured from this? Did it hit another piece of GSE with two people aboard/ inside?
I remember driving a fuel truck as a mostly solitary endeavor, after I was taught the basics I was unleashed solo upon the airport. I can't recall ever having anyone in the truck with me. I wonder if this was some sort of initial training gone wrong?

A long time ago each night I'd take a truck loaded with 5000 gallons and drive it from our FBO at KBUR all of the way around Rwy 8 on the perimeter/access road to FedEx and fuel their 727, I never calculated the distance but it would be measured in miles and because the trucks were geared so low you might eat a convenient dinner (burrito) on the way over. Most nights 25-30000 lbs of fuel was plenty, some nights they wanted more and driving back around to the other side of the airport to our fuel farm, getting some fuel and coming back wouldn't fit their schedule and wasn't an option. Luckily we always kept a twin of the truck I was in loaded and ready to go, if I realized I wasn't going to have enough fuel I'd get on the radio and tell the counter girls to launch the second truck. Most of the time the second truck would show up before I ran out. A cargo ramp might seem like a chaotic maelstrom to the uninitiated but it's efficient and choreographed and everyone has their place and I'm not going to move my truck, it's already connected to the airplane, but I would need to get the second truck parked next to me so they could pump fuel into my truck so I could pump it into the airplane with the least amount of disruption. They were always grudgingly accommodating (FedEx was not as "push time" centric as UPS back then) and they'd make room, the second truck could always pump faster into my truck than I could into the airplane so quite often they'd trundle off into the western twilight half empty as I pondered the sunset and the wonders of what the future might hold for an industrious young man like me. And then I'd chastise myself for thinking I was living some romantic life, finish fueling the plane, unhook the hose and stow it, close the panels, get the paperwork signed and head to the fuel farm just like my co-worker. I've related the Price Club/riot/Burbank/Glendale PD/CHP story before so I won't bore you again. Crashing a fuel truck to me sounds like crashing a mobility scooter. Driving a fuel truck is not that hard to do well, you just need to have some common sense. Most here think I'm an idiot yet I was able to do all of that with a manual transmission.

... Driving a fuel truck is not that hard to do well, you just need to have some common sense. Most here think I'm an idiot yet I was able to do all of that with a manual transmission.

Semi-interesting side note; based on some quick non-scientific searches it would appear that you call yourself an idiot/ignorant/stupid/dumb wrench-turner (or similar) about ten times as often as other users do.

I’d be glad to be proved wrong on this.

Semi-interesting side note; based on some quick non-scientific searches it would appear that you call yourself an idiot/ignorant/stupid/dumb wrench-turner (or similar) about ten times as often as other users do.

I'm dumb, I never lived up to my potential, some of that was circumstances and some was poor personal choices. One thing that I've always done from line guy to chief inspector is just be honest, if I don't know the answer to a question I refuse pretend I do, after all of these years I can usually get right back with an answer. I don't want or need to be the center of attention, I prefer to stay in the background and let those that yearn to shine have their day in the sun, if I can help the ones I trust it makes me happy. Most folks here have a degree and I don't. Whether or not that's a measure of a person is a subject for another thread, but most that do have a tendency to look down upon others that didn't graduate college. I'm okay with that and secretly enjoy tormenting them knowing I'm smarter, more adept to many situations and happier than they are. I'm dumb.

It’s the trait of someone with low self esteem.

IMG_9140.jpeg

I drove fuel trucks at LGB Signature among other talents for 5 years. Had a 750g ford diesel, a 1000g avgas Isuzu cabover which was my favorite. 2x 3000 gal trucks, 1 5000 truck, a 7500 and we had about 5 15,000g trucks for the airline and military side. Got the job @ 18.

We never rolled one or got close I think. But I did get pulled over for speeding in the ford avgas truck. It ripped. The cop was more concerned with attempting to find a lighter I never had. And another time a cop stopped me and l asked where the license place and registration was. On a truck so absolutely massive it wouldn’t be street legal in a million years. What an idiot.

Good times.

Back