Sierra Academy of Aeronautics

jhugz

Guppy gear swinger
I received a call shortly from my friend that I went through the CFI academy with. He now works at the Sierra Academy of Aeronautics and just told me some pretty disturbing news.

A student died tonight when walking into the prop of an airplane.

There is much more that will come to this story in time however I do not feel that it is appropriate to post it on a public forum.

Needless to say RIP fellow aviator

It would be MER for LVK ops no longer exist I'm pretty sure. Wow that sucks, but honestly I'm not too suprised. There's really no safety program over there but god was it a great place to instruct when I was there. You know if it was a chinese student or indian?

=Jason-

Very sad news. Would like to know more if you can provide some details while protecting the innocent.....

We the instructors are as much in the dark as anyone. All flights were canceled today and we aren't sure about tomorrow. No email from management regarding the incident, nor about the cancellation of the schedule. Not sure if they are trying to keep it under wraps or waiting to notify next of kin before an official statement is made. Very unfortunate accident and couldn't come at a worst time. The CAAC (China version of the FAA) is in town for their yearly inspection.

Sierra academy chinese student walked into propeller

I heard he was critically injured but nothing about the incident. Anyone know what transpired?

ILS

Re: Sierra academy chinese student walked into propeller

It's in the local paper, but not much info until NoK is notified. LINK

Here is the FAA's preliminary;

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 45994 Make/Model: C152 Description: 152, A152, Aerobat
Date: 11/16/2008 Time: 0155

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: None

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT PROPELLER STRUCK AND FATALLY INJURED ONE PERSON WHILE IN THE
NON-MOVEMENT AREA OF THE RAMP, CASTLE AIRPORT, ATWATER, CA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 0145Z 00000 6HZ SKC 17/10 A3010

OTHER DATA
Activity: Training Phase: Standing Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: FRESNO, CA (WP17) Entry date: 11/17/2008

RIP

Now that the newspaper has reported it I feel like I should elaborate a little more from my conversation with a CFI that works there.

Two student flew together at night. Neither should be flying together obviously but also neither had a night time solo endorsement. Like the newspaper said they were trying to not get caught so obviously they new they were doing wrong.

I guess that multiple students from Sierra have had runway incursions in the past couple weeks so...I am not sure what the FAA is going to do with this mess.

I feel for these students instructors in this situation. Hopefully they dodge any administrative action.

Now that the newspaper has reported it I feel like I should elaborate a little more from my conversation with a CFI that works there.

Two student flew together at night. Neither should be flying together obviously but also neither had a night time solo endorsement. Like the newspaper said they were trying to not get caught so obviously they new they were doing wrong.

I guess that multiple students from Sierra have had runway incursions in the past couple weeks so...I am not sure what the FAA is going to do with this mess.

I feel for these students instructors in this situation. Hopefully they dodge any administrative action.

Jesus - if they seriously left an aircraft with the screw turning and no one in the cockpit... Don't want to rush to judgment, but I have no patience for this type of stupidity.

Jesus - if they seriously left an aircraft with the screw turning and no one in the cockpit... Don't want to rush to judgment, but I have no patience for this type of stupidity.

They didn't both leave the aircraft. They were not stupid. It was an accident. His friends are not interested in what you have no patience for, so have some respect for the dead, will you?

They didn't both leave the aircraft. They were not stupid. It was an accident. His friends are not interested in what you have no patience for, so have some respect for the dead, will you?

"One student took off on foot while the victim got out of the co-pilot seat and came around the front of the plane. MacKenzie said the student was probably trying to get back into the primary pilot's seat when he misjudged the distance and was struck in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene."

Just going off of what the report said - if it's wrong, then it's wrong. I still feel pretty confident believing that running into a moving propeller because you're trying not to get caught doing something illegal is pretty F'n stupid.

9-months ago a good friend of mine did something really stupid in the airplane we co-owned - he's dead, and so are two of his passengers. The outcome doesn't change the circumstances.

:yeahthat:

I agree. This was not a smart move at all. I feel remorse for the deceased and the victims family, but this is stupidity at it's finest.

It is just not that difficult to obey rules, particularly when operating or in the presence of machinery that can kill you.

Nobody here knows the exact circumstances, and the [apparent] negligence doesn't need to be pointed out.

Can we show a little respect for the deceased and those affected by this accident?

Nobody here knows the exact circumstances, and the [apparent] negligence doesn't need to be pointed out.

Can we show a little respect for the deceased and those affected by this accident?

Uhh I am pretty sure everyone on this thread showed respect for the deceased but we must learn from mistakes of others. When a student pilot reads this thread they need to see that you should follow rules and not mess around in or near a machine that can kill you in so many different ways.

I again would like to state that this is a terrible situation and my thoughts go out to those involved but if we don't learn from these mistakes and they happen again...it's a tradegy.

Back