Shuttle Endeavor travels.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Departing KEFD today, with a refuel stop at KBIF, so those in the El Paso area should be able to get a good look. From there, supposed to make low flybys of White Sands Missile Range / Space Harbor Airfield, and the NASA White Sands facility, so people in Las Cruces, NM should be able to get a good look. The a low flyby of the Tucson area, then to Los Angeles.

Departing KEFD today, with a refuel stop at KBIF, so those in the El Paso area should be able to get a good look. From there, supposed to make low flybys of White Sands Missile Range / Space Harbor Airfield, and the NASA White Sands facility, so people in Las Cruces, NM should be able to get a good look. The a low flyby of the Tucson area, then to Los Angeles.

I got a few pictures of it from my office window this morning (as it was departing Houston). I had a pretty nice view from the 19th floor. The pictures aren't great (grainy, low light), but I can try to upload them later if anyone is interested.

Was great seeing it today. Went up A-Mountain and just enjoyed the event.
419150_10151125615877834_1982236615_n.jpg

Unfortunately, it was too far north of the base to be picture worthy for me. I did get a good look at it with some fancy gyro-stabilized binoculars though. Thanks to the crew of Astro 95 for dropping by!

Drove from Orange county to LAX to watch it land. On the nearly 25 mile trek I think every overpass had spectators waiting for Endeavor to pass over. Every building we passed had people in top. Around LAX, thousands gathered around streets and filled with roof top for miles. I must say, I felt extremely proud to be an America today.

Got to see it fly over my office today. Everyone at my office was bitching that it was going to be at 3500 feet and too hard to see. Then it flew over and they were all shocked at how low it was.

Think about this for a minute. There was a comment a few up about being proud to be an American because of the sapce shuttle. It's something that we could be proud of as a country, because our government did it. We all funded it, so it was all of us that were a part of it. I saw it today, from fairly close (Sepulveda Pass). When I saw it, I got a little lump in my throat. Neil Degrasse Tyson said it best. I for one am very disappointed and saddened by all of this. Not because the Shuttle is gone, even though it was the first, the very first, reusable space vehicle and has been retired, but we don't have a replacement. We don't have something better. There isn't even one in the works.

"FOUR TENTHS OF ONE PERCENT DOESN'T EVEN GET YOU INTO THE INK!"
"How much would you pay for the Universe?"

We can't even get an aerial refueling contract settled in less than 10 years. Furthermore this country is to poor to be in space exploration. We need to get our house in order before we spend billions on another space craft.

Got to see it fly over my office today. Everyone at my office was bitching that it was going to be at 3500 feet and too hard to see. Then it flew over and they were all shocked at how low it was.

We waited for hours at Moffett, it was cool but uh... I kinda feel like we got the short end. Plus the announcer there said it would make an approach to the runway, so I switched lenses in anticipation of it being close. Then it didn't, so my photos are kind of dull.

Oh well.

When I was a kid growing up in Palmdale we used to see it flying around all the time, so it was nice to see it one last time.

And as for the program itself, it was time to retire it. I have faith that something amazing will happen in the future. It's in our nature.

Back