Showing love for family by working a lot

Would you rather be gone a lot and make the most money possible or be home the most and make a decent salary? Say you have a wife and kids.

That's kindof a subjective question...everyone's answer is going to be different.

I think it's better to work your butt off and then retire early. That way you can make a ton of money before you have to worry about sending kids to college or whatever.

Would you rather be gone a lot and make the most money possible or be home the most and make a decent salary? Say you have a wife and kids.

I'd rather be gone a lot and make more money. I'm a greedy ####### though. Plus, I want to be able to provide my family a good quality of life, even if that means I'm not necessarily there to enjoy it.

I think it's better to work your butt off and then retire early. That way you can make a ton of money before you have to worry about sending kids to college or whatever.

Welcome to JC.

If you died tomorrow would you rather have spent more time at work making money or more time at home with your wife and kids?

I'll probably work my but off until I have a family and then try to be home as much as possible with my kids. Who knows, maybe I'll change.

I got married 4 years ago this November. I cannot tell you how long every week that I am gone because I work long duty days. I would rather do what makes us both happy. There are some weeks that I am glad I work long hours than there are some weeks I don't want to leave the house. Go figure, we all get those weeks. I also understand now that I will probably never retire because of a couple things...the market, and I cannot stand doing nothing for longer than about 2 days.

I want the high paying job but that doesn't mean that I want to change anything. I just want both of us to be happy.

If you died tomorrow would you rather have spent more time at work making money or more time at home with your wife and kids?

Very true, but, if it was between making sure my family had plenty of money and never had to worry about anything, or spending everyday with them and struggling through life and not being very happy, I would prefer to be out making money. And if you died tomorrow, it really wouldn't matter what you did because someone would complain either way. You would either be the person who didn't try hard enough and left their family in a hole or the person who didn't spend enough time with their family.

Besides, if you love flying and you love your family, you should be able to manage both. And if you can't, then you shouldn't be in flying. . .or have a family. Whichever suits you best.

I'd rather work enough and make a decent salary then work all of the time and make a lot of money. Money won't make you happy. A wife and kids will, for the most part. Just my .02 cents.

If you believe in life after death, you would see your family soon.

if you don't.... would it really matter then anyway?

How about finding a happy medium?

Working enough to have "enough", but not having to be gone ALL the time :)

Compromise......

What do you need more money for? Stylish clothes? Newer car? Bigger house? Fancier vacation? More toys?

Kids can live without that stuff. But Daddy being gone all the time is a different story...

I'd rather be gone a lot and make more money. I'm a greedy ####### though. Plus, I want to be able to provide my family a good quality of life, even if that means I'm not necessarily there to enjoy it.

Guarantee that'll change when your baby is born...it was hard to leave my wife & son, but when my daughter was born in September it became twice as hard.

There needs to be balance. There are some things you cant and wont do with children when you are old (er) However when they are young its easier to hit it hard so youre set up later on.

My friend's dad owns a small business. His dad works 80+ hrs a week. His dad was never there for childhood events, went to work on all holidays, spent every one of the 365 days at work (except a few to go on the vacation with the family). His dad often put work before famd.ily.

My friend and his father aren't on speaking terms because their relationship (or lack thereof).

If you're planning on having kids, work hard before you have kids, then ease off once you do so you can be there for the majority of their childhood.

I guess my dad would be my idol with this question. He is a controller. He worked his butt off, traded shifts like crazy just to make my baseball games and wrestling matches. He was almost fired because he refused to pick up an OT shift the night of my first baseball game ever. I played baseball for 15 years and wrestled for 7. He never missed a game/match. He even coached many of my baseball teams and my younger brothers football games. I never really noticed it until my last 2 years of baseball when there were many away games he was the only parent there from my team. He sacrificed a lot of his personal life for me and my brother.

I have 2 kids (son is 2 yrs old and daughter is 2 months old). I had a great role model and I will be just the same to my kids.

Yes, money matters. Paying bills is important. I want my kids to grow up in a nice house, with good schools and a lot of opportunity. I will do what it takes for them to get that.

Back