Should I feel guilty?

BrettInLJ

I feel like I have just contributed to the problem of low wages in the airline industry today. I just paid $103 for a roundtrip ticket from LAX, $20 of which is taxes. That's not much more than the cost of driving!

If anyone is wondering, I found the fare on the America West website only, not available on Orbitz or Expedia.

Every time my friends call me and ask what the cheapest route will be, I usually say something like "Nowadays every route is pretty cheap, and probably even cheaper than driving, BUT MAN UP AND PAY $250 FOR A TICKET!"

I know about the laws,etc. but airlines seriously need to start raising their fares.

FlyingNole said:
Every time my friends call me and ask what the cheapest route will be, I usually say something like "Nowadays every route is pretty cheap, and probably even cheaper than driving, BUT MAN UP AND PAY $250 FOR A TICKET!"

I know about the laws,etc. but airlines seriously need to start raising their fares.

I looked at my receipt and $26 was taxes. So they are making $77 on me, $36 each way. If I drove 300 miles each way I would use at least 25 gallons of gas (with LA traffic) which would cost about $75. Now add wear and tear on the car and the aggraviation of being stuck in traffic for hours on way home, and flying is much cheaper. Interestingly, leaving from Burbank on the same airline would be $200.

No, you shouldn't feel guilty. If they are offering a product for a certain price, then you ought to consume it.

But then you can't whine when you pay $400 for your ticket like I am.

Don't feel guilty, its even worse for other flights. Right now Airtran has CAK (Akron Ohio) to LAS for as cheap as $99 each way. Can't get much cheaper then that, that is looking today (10/7) for NJC dates.

Sad, but I can tell you the flights are going out FULL. Bet they would still be full at $150-200 each way.

tonyw said:
No, you shouldn't feel guilty. If they are offering a product for a certain price, then you ought to consume it.

But then you can't whine when you pay $400 for your ticket like I am.

Tony, did you get my PM?

No point in feeling guilty they could have taken off with that seat empty...then instead of making 77 bucks or whatever they made a big fat zippo....at least you helped out with like 15-20 gallons of JET-A...

seth

Back