should I even start my ATP?

germb747

I'm debating whether or not I should go to one of those weekend ATP courses (like at ATP, etc) and knock out the ticket on my own time/dime (possibly with GI bill assistance). I took the written in Dec 06, so I have about six months until it expires (unless, of course, I remain at the same 121 carrier and use it to upgrade). With the state of the industry, who knows if I'll still have a job when it's my turn to upgrade (or even when that will be). I'd hate to let the written expire w/o taking the practical and then have to retake it, but I'll probably end up reviewing it all the material anyway to prepare for the checkride. As I see it, I can spend about $3000 now and get it out of the way, making myself more marketable if I do end up having to find another job. Plus, if I am still employed at my current company, won't having an ATP (versus a CPL) possibly make the upgrade test a little less grueling (since it'll be a reissuance rather than an initial and the examiner won't have to test me on ALL the areas of the PTS)??

Plus, if I am still employed at my current company, won't having an ATP (versus a CPL) possibly make the upgrade test a little less grueling (since it'll be a reissuance rather than an initial and the examiner won't have to test me on ALL the areas of the PTS)??

When you get a type, the checkide the THE SAME as if you were getting your ATP. The oral is the same, the sim is the same. Just so you know.

Plus, if I am still employed at my current company, won't having an ATP (versus a CPL) possibly make the upgrade test a little less grueling (since it'll be a reissuance rather than an initial and the examiner won't have to test me on ALL the areas of the PTS)??

Nope, the only advantage in having an ATP versus a CPL, is that it allows you to apply to places that require you to have an ATP as part of their hiring minimums - you're a little more marketable (depending on your flight experience.) It doesn't help you at all for your upgrade, you still go through the whole checkride if it's your initial type in that airplane.

I'd hate to let the written expire w/o taking the practical and then have to retake it, but I'll probably end up reviewing it all the material anyway to prepare for the checkride.

Whether the written is current or not, when you upgrade, you won't need to review the ATP written at all, I'd focus more on your systems, limitations, profiles, company manuals, e.g. what they teach you in ground school.

At one place that I know of a FO with an ATP gets an automatic raise, but that's probably not relevant to this discussion. Just pointing out that for some it can be beneficial to have an ATP before upgrade.

Some potential employers to require an ATP, mainly for single pilot IFR operations.

It might make you slightly more marketable though.

nope. what you are getting during upgrade is a type rating, the ATP comes along with it if you dont already have it, but its not going to make it any easier.

Thanks for the input everyone. Part of me just want to do it "just for the heck of it" rather than wait for upgrade. If I can get enough time and money together, I just might do it. I've also always wanted to learn how to fly gliders too, for the fun of it.

How long to upgrade? I would wait and save your money. If you go to another 121 it will still be good if you don't worse case is you go to atp and take it again and still save 2700. Put that 3000 in the bank and save it.

Back