SFO

Roger Roger

Bottom of the list
Any leads on SFO pads? Got a couple leads I’m chasing down but more options is better. Willing to pay a little more to be outside the normal crashpad situation of 20 dudes hot bunking it.

Buddy of mine bought a sail boat as a CP in SFO.
this is not a bad idea in principle but I would think the maintenance, slip fees and stuff would be the same cost as a small apartment there.

not to mention abominably cold in the winter/spring.

this is not a bad idea in principle but I would think the maintenance, slip fees and stuff would be the same cost as a small apartment there.

And having to empty a poop bucket

So I actually did throw this out to some SFO folks I know and one response was “thoughts and prayers” and another person suggested a boat.

There are a lot of traditional (if not cramped) crash pads all around SFO, but seeing as a 1 bedroom in even a sketchy area is well north of $1300/mo usually anywhere around the airport, splitting with 2 or 3 people could still easily be very expensive compared to what commuters may expect to pay. I once met a guy still paying $600/mo after utilities splitting a crappy small apartment in (a very nice part of) Burlingame despite being one of 3 dudes renting the place. He told me about it like he was so happy he found it so I guess that is a good deal, or was in 2019.

Buddy of mine bought a sail boat as a CP in SFO.
For a few years in a row, Coyote Point has been hit with very harsh weather which has destroyed boats. Combos of falling trees\crazy winds (happening very often compared to years past). I think over 50% of the trees that stood my entire lifetime are gone now after these several events. A small sample size, but all 3 people I knew who had high-paying SFO jobs and used a houseboat as needed for commuting had their boats damaged significantly over the last 2 years. Something to consider as that is the only marina near SFO that I think allows such a setup (the Oyster Point Marina I've always been told is not a good set up for this for whatever reason).

There are a lot of traditional (if not cramped) crash pads all around SFO, but seeing as a 1 bedroom in even a sketchy area is well north of $1300/mo usually anywhere around the airport, splitting with 2 or 3 people could still easily be very expensive compared to what commuters may expect to pay. I once met a guy still paying $600/mo after utilities splitting a crappy small apartment in (a very nice part of) Burlingame despite being one of 3 dudes renting the place. He told me about it like he was so happy he found it so I guess that is a good deal, or was in 2019.

For a few years in a row, Coyote Point has been hit with very harsh weather which has destroyed boats. Combos of falling trees\crazy winds (happening very often compared to years past). I think over 50% of the trees that stood my entire lifetime are gone now after these several events. A small sample size, but all 3 people I knew who had high-paying SFO jobs and used a houseboat as needed for commuting had their boats damaged significantly over the last 2 years. Something to consider as that is the only marina near SFO that I think allows such a setup (the Oyster Point Marina I've always been told is not a good set up for this for whatever reason).

I'm guessing that Sausalito would be just as bad, or worse? That's the only other marina area I'm aware of.

The wife and I considered the idea of living on a houseboat by the Wharf in DC about 10 years ago. Research indicated that you get all of the issues of having a boat with all of the issues of having a house, compacted down into a living space with very little storage, complicated with pets, and all the costs, not to mention the frigid conditions that happen when the power is out or the river freezes. It was a lovely idea but we rejected it as a potentially marriage-ending live grenade. :)

EDIT - don't want to completely de-rail:

@Roger Roger - what have you found so far in terms of amenities, location and price?

@ChasenSFO out of curiosity is the crash pad situation strictly in that immediate area around SFO? Seems like on the surface you could take BART and look a little further out like the east bay which might be slightly cheaper, but I’m not sure how reliable BART would be getting you to the airport on reserve type timelines. Thoughts?

killbilly said:
I'm guessing that Sausalito would be just as bad, or worse? That's the only other marina area I'm aware of.

Sausalito is awesome, but keep in mind Marin County is historically one of the most expensive parts of the Bay Area to live, so those house boats probably cost more than regular houses in a lot of other parts of the country. Would be an awesome place to live though.

nope. If I was commuting to SFO, I'd go splash pad.

I had a line on a boat pad from my sim partner, but he decided to get some work done on it instead. Got a lot of other leads from folks to chase down. Thanks all!

The sailboat option is fairly popular, I have friends in SEA and MIA doing the same. As well as some others with a camper (Class A, C and tow behinds). However, the surge in campsite prices over the last few years has taken some of the frugalness out of it.

Back