Seminole Hobbs Meter Question

jwp_145

GhostRider in the Sky
I'm currently instructing in a 2005 PA44 180 Seminole. I've looked all through the POH I have for it, but I cannot find the information I need concerning the Hobbs meter for flight time. Does it run off of the oil pressure switch on the right engine, as has been suggested in other topics on this website, or does it rn off of the battery master?

I've looked a while, but I just cannot find it. I need to know so that I have the student shut down the proper engine so that I still keep getting paid!!!!!

Its been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that the BAT master is the wrong answer.

It runs off the right engine for sure, I just don't remember what actually engages it. (nothing like single engine flying to save money!)

I'm currently instructing in a 2005 PA44 180 Seminole. I've looked all through the POH I have for it, but I cannot find the information I need concerning the Hobbs meter for flight time. Does it run off of the oil pressure switch on the right engine, as has been suggested in other topics on this website, or does it rn off of the battery master?

I've looked a while, but I just cannot find it. I need to know so that I have the student shut down the proper engine so that I still keep getting paid!!!!!

Can't answer the question you asked, but I will say that you should be getting paid from the scheduled beginning of the lesson, until the ending of the lesson, regardless of which engine you shut down, or even if the engines are running at all.

All that I've been in run on the Battery master. Proof:
1. I've seen time flip during preflight when the master is on more than a few times
2. student (not mine) leaves on the master after shutdown and I have to account for the 7 hours on the meter before the battery went dead.

We also have a Hobbs meter that runs off a squat switch on the landing gear for off/on times

1. I've seen time flip during preflight when the master is on more than a few times
2. student (not mine) leaves on the master after shutdown and I have to account for the 7 hours on the meter before the battery went dead.

We also have a Hobbs meter that runs off a squat switch on the landing gear for off/on times
depends on the year. all of our aircraft are 99 or newer and they all run on the oil pressure from the right engine.

depends on the year. all of our aircraft are 99 or newer and they all run on the oil pressure from the right engine.

Yep.
I had to ask our maintenance guys. Go wherever you take your planes and ask them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Depends, the one that I flew quite a bit ran if the ALT was on, AND oil pressure in the right engine. Some of the older ones ran off the master switch.

If that is the case then all I would have to do is turn off the master once airborn and I do not need to pay for most of the flight. It has always been my understanding that the hobbs runs off of the oil pressure and the tach runs off of the RPM.

To the OP... if I remember right there is some info on the hobbs meter on the electrical schematic. That may help.

Brian

If that is the case then all I would have to do is turn off the master once airborn and I do not need to pay for most of the flight.

Brian

Been there, done that

(not me, but my instructor when the school required the instructor to pay themselves anytime they flew over the prescribed time limit) :nana2:

All the ones ive flown have been off the BATT MSTR switch. They were 2001-2000 year models. Ask MX at the location for sure.

ATP's fleet of 2000 and newer models ran off the battery master switch. Of course, I'd never do a thing like this, but if you needed one extra landing with a student but were out of flight time it was pretty easy to throw a switch and get the time in. The earlier (79) models ran off oil pressure in the right engine. The joke was that the high torque starter on the left engine was really a myth set up so people wouldn't ever shut down the right engine and stop the clock.

weird, all off ours are 99 or newer and they all run off oil pressure. i have never seen the hobbs start to click until the right engine is running. on a few of ours you can run the RPM really low and stop the hobbs as well, but i am guessing they "fixed" that by now

Back