Self Study For CFI

I also have been studying for the initial on my own time. Mainly to cut the cost down. But, I thought that I read in the FAR's that the initial must have 40 hours of ground instruction and the add on must have at least 25 hours instruction. It was from the '08 FAR/AIM, and I can't find it in '09; did it change? Or am I off my rocker? A friend of mine told me that the initial could be done for under a grand, is that doable with self study alone? Also, what do you guys think about the CFII as the initial and the single as the add on? It seems that if I am going to have to pay for 40 hours of instructing, I'd rather it be on instrument material.

The FARs is my weak point because it's mainly lawyer jargon but I never heard of that. I'd like to think that you are off your rocker. I'm in for a big surprise if this is so. Come on, where is the pilot bail out plan! :laff: Can't the FAA cut back on some of these rules because of economic pressures? No more gray lines (holding out) for the commercial pilot. :p

I also have been studying for the initial on my own time. Mainly to cut the cost down. But, I thought that I read in the FAR's that the initial must have 40 hours of ground instruction and the add on must have at least 25 hours instruction.

There is no time requirement. You go when you are ready.
You just need your instructor to endorse you.

That's great news guys! I have been thinking that maybe the II would be better for the initial. A lot of studying! I took the FOI, II, and ??? writtens this summer, one less thing out of the way! I am out of work now, layoffs, so I should be able to concentrate over the next few weeks, and hopefully a checkride!

That's what teachers do. The idea is that the more you =understand= about a subject, the more able you are of tailoring your explanation to the audience. It's not contradictory; it's what teaching is about.

That's fine, but I was talking about how weird it was to train myself to do that with little to no teaching/instructing experience. It seemed weird to me until I understood what it was about.

Wow, this thread is inspiring.

I'm currently working towards my initial. It's been an on and off thing for about 2.5 years. I hope to have it completed in the next 2-3 months, and I yeah, I do need to set a date. I'm hoping to self study as much as I can. The flying might take some work though, since I only have a few hours of right seat time and have flown pretty infrequently since I got my commercial 2.5 years ago. One good note is that when I got my biennial, the maneuvers were a breeze to get through; it was like riding a bike.

But yeah, my biggest hurdle at the moment is finding an instructor that can fly with me and sign me off.

There is no time requirement. You go when you are ready.
You just need your instructor to endorse you.

I spoke to quickly...
(j) Log at least 15 hours as pilot in command in the category and class of aircraft that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and

It is a non issue for single engine Initial if you train the traditional way, but this is the reg that makes people decide to do their II in a twin, so they can double dip gaining the 15 pic hours category/class.

So essentially there is no minimum time for training, you should already have it.

Back