Seeking some info/advice

synchronicityii

Hello Everyone,

My dad is a pilot (recreational, not commercial) and I have always loved flying but the thought of being an airline pilot has never really appealed to me.

I am currently in the finance industry and have recently been giving consideration to changing careers. I would absolutely love to become a pilot at a charter company in locations such as Australia, Bahamas, Hawaii, South America, etc. that take tourists from one island to another or over popular scenic locations.

My problem is that I am unable to find any information about how one goes about this and was hoping for some insights from all of you seasoned aviators on this board regarding a few questions I have, and to hopefully ground me a little with some facts, as I realize my view of it right now is romanticized.

I understand that some of the answers to my questions will vary from place to place, but any information any of you may have would be of great help. And just to make clear, yes, I realize that the pay is most likely going to be absolutly abhorrent. But after working in the finance industry, I have come to realize it does not matter to me how much I make, as long as I love what I am doing.

1. Is there a specific name to this kind of tourist-piloting or does it fall under the category of charter pilot?

2. Would getting your commercial be enough or is ATP necessary? How many hours would be required (100s, or 1000s)?

3. Will places go for younger pilots (I'm 25), or will they most likely want to go for retirees who have a lot of experience under their belts?

4. Will FAA licenses be enough or will I have to get certified in each country?

Thank you in advance to anyone who has any information about this, as it would be of great help to me at this point in my life where I'm trying to go through some big changes.

I once flew tourists through the Grand Canyon on scenic tours. These sorts of jobs tend to be low paying. I would say a commercial and 1000 hours with time in the type they fly would be fine. I don't think companies looks for retirees with lots of hours but just someone who can do a good job and is willing to work for the pay. When I flew the ditch we had mostly young, low time guys with just a commercial and 500+ hours. There were a couple 30ish guys who were there for one reason of another. Late starters or lived in the town and didn't want to leave. There was one old guy for whom is was a retirement job. FAA licenses will qualify you to fly FAA registered aircraft. Otherwise, I think you need to convert to local licenses and have the right to live and work in that country.

Back