Seeking Low-Time(-ish) Jobs in Seattle/PNW

futurevagabondpilot

Roving Member
Hey all!

Just finishing up my first flying job- as an aerial survey pilot.
This is seasonal work and it is coming to a close by the end of this month.

Once it does end, I'll be returning to Seattle and looking for opportunities to build up my flight time to FAR 135 IFR (and eventually ATP) minimums.

Here's what I'm working with:
900 TT, 500 XC, 775 PIC, 95 INSTRUM
Comm AMEL,ASEL.
Instrument-Rated and Current.
ATP written complete.
No instructor certificate yet, but interested in obtaining those down the road.

I know that's not much, but it's a start.
I am interested in any sort of flying work- right-seat, skydive, FAR 135 VFR scenic, but of course would prefer multi or turbine positions (wouldn't we all?)

Anyone know of any opportunities?

Seaport Airlines down in Portland. Bases are PDX, SAN, MEM and AJN. We fly the Caravan 208B. We take guys with much lower times than you have. You'll likely be based at MEM your first year. We have 34 open pilot slots there right now.

Apply here http://seaportair.com/current-openings.php

Seaport sounds like a great company, and I would love to fly the Caravan!
However, I'm looking for something in Seattle (or within commutable distance).

Thanks for the tip, though!

34 slots !? Been trying to get on with them...

250TT
35 in caravan.

Any advice ?

Sorry no idea what goes on with hiring. Frankly I'm still surprised I got hired.

Having a good reference helps a lot. Word is that a bad hire will be an issue for the referring pilot too. Not sure what to tell you.

Get a climbto350.com account, you will have a job interview in no time.....lots of companies are looking right now

@herik54555

Abolutely! Love the Orange site!
There are a TON of great opportunities on there right now.

Unfortunately there are not of jobs listed on Orange for the Blue 'N Green PNW.
Remember I am asking about Seattle here, not Portland, Texas, Cali or Florida (which are all hiring pilots like mad).

Not trying to be difficult, but I really do want to limit this conversation to opportunities in the Seattle area for 900-1200TT pilots.

Thanks again for the great tip!

Unfortunately you are going to struggle with finding work local to you. It's a sad side effect of aviation.

I'm from Seattle too and wanted to stay but all the job ops were in other states.

There are lots of cfi jobs in the Seattle area but few non instruction jobs. Like you I started out just looking local and ended up having to look outside the PNW.

If you are going to limit your search to Seattle be prepared for a long wait while you search.

Not saying it's impossible just not something easy.

Unfortunately you are going to struggle with finding work local to you. It's a sad side effect of aviation.

I'm from Seattle too and wanted to stay but all the job ops were in other states.

There are lots of cfi jobs in the Seattle area but few non instruction jobs. Like you I started out just looking local and ended up having to look outside the PNW.

If you are going to limit your search to Seattle be prepared for a long wait while you search.

Not saying it's impossible just not something easy.

av8tr1

Thanks for that.

I agree, and I know the inherent challenges of finding work in aviation in a specific locale. In aviation, you have to be prepared to move. I've already moved away for my first job, now just trying to get back to Seattle for my second flying gig.

It may be that if I want to be in that area I will need to plunk down further investment in time and money and get my CFI. Absolutely open to that, but just putting out "the feelers" out there for other flying jobs that don't require yet ANOTHER certificate....

Thanks again for the tips and ideas... keep 'em coming, folks...

Hey, while the rest of you guys are at it, can anyone else find me a job within 15 miles of my house? I need a 7 on 13 off schedule, 70k+, in a multi turbine, with full benefits and CASS.
And no, I'm not considering moving for my career. o_O

Come on Michael, I think you gotta be flexible on a few of your "requirements" if you actually want some reasonable career progression.

Phil:
I getcha. This is something we all realize- it is easier to find a flying job if you are flexible to move to any location. Unfortunately that is not the case for me right now. I know it's going to be tough, but I am moving to Seattle. There are factors beyond aviation that have influenced my decision.

That is exactly the reason for this post. In fact I don't think I would have posted at all unless I was moving to a specific location and was looking for a job within commutable distance to that specific area. I will say that in the original post I did mention: "I am interested in ANY sort of flying work- right-seat, skydive, FAR 135 VFR scenic"

That said, I just want to be clear about the tone of this thread.
I'm simply asking if anyone knows of leads in Seattle, but I'm not demanding anything.
I hope I am not offending anyone by asking. I think highly of the JC community and that's why I am posting- everyone has great ideas and suggestions.

I'm willing to put in the work to make this work out for me, so I will do whatever I need to do to get on with an operator out there. I knew before posting this thread that it was going to be very difficult to find flying work in Seattle- I was (and am) humble enough to ask for help when I need it.

That's part of being a pilot- having enough situational awareness to know when you need help and being humble enough to ask.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed, and keep the suggestions coming.

Best thing you could do is get a job pumping gas at a medium sized flight school like snohomish, crest, or Bremerton. Get to know people and maybe get a discount on your cfi. Jonny on the spot for the next cfi job. Once you get the quals look at airpac or amflight

Best thing you could do is get a job pumping gas at a medium sized flight school like snohomish, crest, or Bremerton. Get to know people and maybe get a discount on your cfi. Jonny on the spot for the next cfi job. Once you get the quals look at airpac or amflight

Yessir,

Now THAT is a great suggestion.

I am already looking into such positions, as everything is on the table.

Thanks again.

Looking for pilot position, gets suggested line service, THANKS FOR THE GREAT SUGGESTION!
That's the exact opposite of most pilots' career progression. You have plenty of flight time to do something with, why waste your life doing something irrelevant with only a shred of hope for a handout in the future?
The only reason I'm calling you out is because I have known several pilots who just gave up on flying because they couldn't find something in their backyard. Why waste so much time and money on training to get you 60% of the way there?

Looking for pilot position, gets suggested line service, THANKS FOR THE GREAT SUGGESTION!
That's the exact opposite of most pilots' career progression. You have plenty of flight time to do something with, why waste your life doing something irrelevant with only a shred of hope for a handout in the future?
The only reason I'm calling you out is because I have known several pilots who just gave up on flying because they couldn't find something in their backyard. Why waste so much time and money on training to get you 60% of the way there?

Bitter survey pilots at the end of the season are bitter... ;-)

Doing a line gig to get a discount on your CFI isn't a bad option. I worked the front desk at my flight school after I got my Comm ASEL for the discount and saved a boat load of money. It's all a means to an end. While I worked the desk they gave me a couple of paid ferrying gigs too to start to building my time.

I've known a few people that have done that to get their ratings quicker and cheaper than trying to find a local flying job. There are people that can't just pull up and chase jobs around the country for hours.

Phil you've worked with me pretty much all season.
You know me better than to just give up. LOL

I know it's not optimal- and obviously not my first choice.... but if one needs to stay in the area....

I wouldn't call line service irrelevant- I'm sure one could learn a ton from that job.
Plus, now I know there are people who tip in "Jacksons" ;-)

As long as you are ok with a delayed progression in your career, go where you want to go.
It is definitely harder out here than anywhere I've ever seen.
With 4 type ratings and 4000 hours it still took me 5 years to get a flying gig in Seattle. My copilot's big break after 20 years of aviation is being my copilot, that should tell you something. He's never moved for aviation. I've moved 11 times in 12 years.

Back