Seattle Tracon/Seattle Tower

ChristheCFII

Hi Folks,

I figured I should no this since I'm from the area and trying to get hired up there through PUBNAT 6. Is the ATCT at Seatac an up/down? I just realized while looking through an old A/FD that Seattle Approach and the ATCT and Seatac have two different addresses. I always assumed that the big area under the tower cab was for approach control. Am I wrong? What do they use all that space for then? Aren't most towers at class B airports home to a TRACON?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Folks,

I figured I should no this since I'm from the area and trying to get hired up there through PUBNAT 6. Is the ATCT at Seatac an up/down? I just realized while looking through an old A/FD that Seattle Approach and the ATCT and Seatac have two different addresses. I always assumed that the big area under the tower cab was for approach control. Am I wrong? What do they use all that space for then? Aren't most towers at class B airports home to a TRACON?

Thanks,
Chris
Nope. The TRACON is on the West side of the field. Here's a map I made with pins! Until they started building the 3rd runway up you could see the TRACON from the tower. You can however see on Google maps the very very large retaining wall they built to hold it up, between the TRACON and the runway.

The space under/adjacent to the tower is all the offices, training, and all of the computers/routing for the ATC network for the region. I did my interview there :)

Interesting side note: The ASDE-X RADAR on top of the tower is not centered on the tower. They had to offset when they built the tower because it projected into the missed approach airspace by 4 feet or so.

Back