Seattle Photo Day Trip?

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
I've got a full day in Seattle on my pairing next week. Any of you emerald city (why is it called that?) peeps have a recommendation for a photography day trip? I get in pretty late on day 1 and leave pretty early (for passenger ops anyways... none of this 3am departure crap that freight guys do) on day 3, so I'm not wanting to drive too much but up to 2 hours or so each way would be fine.

Two pictures from last time I was out there (in a splint after surgery so limited to taking pictures from the passenger seat of a car).

DSC02645.jpg
DSC02907.jpg

I’m in SEA right now and it’s a nice sunny day! A bit hazy in the distance due to the fires but other than that it’s gorgeous out. I will say I don’t remember this many homeless people and crackpipes out in the open as before, however….

Take the ferry from downtown to west Seattle and I’m sure you will get amazing pics of downtown from there!

I’m in SEA right now and it’s a nice sunny day! A bit hazy in the distance due to the fires but other than that it’s gorgeous out. I will say I don’t remember this many homeless people and crackpipes out in the open as before, however….

Take the ferry from downtown to west Seattle and I’m sure you will get amazing pics of downtown from there!
The homeless people are kinda getting shuffled right now. They had kinda taken over underneath i5 and then apparently someone started throwing things at vehicles. So they closed that and they are moving elsewhere.

That being said. Ferry to Bainbridge is a solid option. Also what used to be the Victoria Clipper is now the San Juan Clipper. It appears they do a whale watching / high speed ferry to Friday Harbor. Might be a cool option. Also do a scenic flight on Kenmore out of lake union.
Idk who is left in downtown now that Donny moved to Alaska base housing but I’m off for a few weeks if anyone wants to grab a beer.

The homeless people are kinda getting shuffled right now. They had kinda taken over underneath i5 and then apparently someone started throwing things at vehicles. So they closed that and they are moving elsewhere.

That being said. Ferry to Bainbridge is a solid option. Also what used to be the Victoria Clipper is now the San Juan Clipper. It appears they do a whale watching / high speed ferry to Friday Harbor. Might be a cool option. Also do a scenic flight on Kenmore out of lake union.
Idk who is left in downtown now that Donny moved to Alaska base housing but I’m off for a few weeks if anyone wants to grab a beer.

How worth it is the drive either down to Rainier NP, or up to North Cascades NP? North Cascades is a bit farther than I want to drive really. The other thing I was thinking was out to the coast past Aberdeen. Is there anything out that way?

How worth it is the drive either down to Rainier NP, or up to North Cascades NP? North Cascades is a bit farther than I want to drive really. The other thing I was thinking was out to the coast past Aberdeen. Is there anything out that way?
I’ve lived here 10 years and haven’t done either. But I also abhor driving and both are a ton of driving.

If you're looking for some shots of downtown, Kerry Park and Alki beach can get you some good views of the city. The museum of flight will get you some good shots of some cool aircraft at BFI if you're into spotting. Reflection Lake and Paradise get you some great views of Mt. Rainer or if you're not wanting to go that far out for some nature shots, Snoqualmie Falls is only about 30 minutes east from downtown. Heading up north Diablo lake out in NCNP is well worth the drive and offers some incredible views or check out Wallace Falls out in Gold Bar.

If you're looking for some shots of downtown, Kerry Park and Alki beach can get you some good views of the city. The museum of flight will get you some good shots of some cool aircraft at BFI if you're into spotting. Reflection Lake and Paradise get you some great views of Mt. Rainer or if you're not wanting to go that far out for some nature shots, Snoqualmie Falls is only about 30 minutes east from downtown. Heading up north Diablo lake out in NCNP is well worth the drive and offers some incredible views or check out Wallace Falls out in Gold Bar.

Diablo lake looks amazing. Just a bit more driving than I want to do. Gold Bar and Wallace Falls might be the plan though. Thanks for that.

leave pretty early (for passenger ops anyways... none of this 3am departure crap that freight guys do)

paulie-sopranos.gif

Queen Anne has a little park with the classic space needle/Rainier backdrop view if you wanted an urban shot like that with the mountain.

paulie-sopranos.gif

Queen Anne has a little park with the classic space needle/Rainier backdrop view if you wanted an urban shot like that with the mountain.

I've did some belly cargo flying earlier this year. As nice as it is to not have pax on board, the departure times mostly sucked... and worrying about arming and disarming 8 slides... that sucked too.

I've did some belly cargo flying earlier this year. As nice as it is to not have pax on board, the departure times mostly sucked... and worrying about arming and disarming 8 slides... that sucked too.

Our BCFs have slides that need to be armed, whereas the freighter one always is. I may or may not have wandered back for a cup of coffee in cruise and thought "well, better late than never."

I used to live in Wallingford. If you like sushi, try Musashi's on 1400 N 45th St. Seattle, WA 98103.Or if you have the time Salty's in Alki Beach. Google images for their buffet.

I used to live in Wallingford. If you like sushi, try Musashi's on 1400 N 45th St. Seattle, WA 98103.Or if you have the time Salty's in Alki Beach. Google images for their buffet.

Momijis for sushi on the hill, for sure…or if you’re looking for more bar vibe liberty also on the hill has a cool bar/lounge that also serves sushi.

Back