Seaplanes for the Air Force, maybe.

Japan has solved this problem with the ShinMaywa US-2

(unless "this" is poop'n-out a RIB or an all-terrain vehicle of guys with tribal tattoos)

1631813598308.png

ASVAB minimums are too high for the AF to absorb the Marines.

I don't know if it's still done this way but when I sat for the ASVAB, there were about 30-40 recruits for all of the service branches in the same room, taking the test at the same time. Most were Army and Air Force, there was a smattering of Navy and Coast Guard.

And three Marine recruits.

Two of the Marine recruits had the top 2 scores in that pool, and the third Marine scored 4th.

I don't know if it's still done this way but when I sat for the ASVAB, there were about 30-40 recruits for all of the service branches in the same room, taking the test at the same time. Most were Army and Air Force, there was a smattering of Navy and Coast Guard.

Two of the Marine recruits had the top 2 scores in that pool, and the third Marine scored 4th.

You know you grew up in a military town when all high school students were required to take the ASVAB.

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought this old Lockheed Hercules flying boat concept model was really pretty (from one of the previous Drive articles). The fact that the latest renderings are just on giant amphibious floats seems a bit less imaginative…

message-editor%2F1621457258713-lockheedc-130boathull.jpeg

A flying boat seems more in line with the mission. Floats add a few/ several feet of problems to the machine. The rear door of a C-130 would have to be modified or extended to reach terra firma.

Oh I can’t wait for the aerodynamics study on that thing in a tanker configuration….

For those of you that don’t understand it, the C-130J is the 737 of military aviation.

I thought the C-40 was the 737 of military aviation?

At least the P-3 had some panache, imagine having a navy career just flying circles in a 737. Yuck
True. Fun fact P3 motors are C130 motors installed upside down.

I would like to see a C40 go through the mach loop one time.

Have always wondered…. The P-3s flew 3-engine (one shut down) to gain more on-station time, so does the P-8 fly single engine to gain more on station time like the P-3s?

Have always wondered…. The P-3s flew 3-engine (one shut down) to gain more on-station time, so does the P-8 fly single engine to gain more on station time like the P-3s?
I never understood this. Ive done many, MANY, long rang missions in a airplane with the exact same motor with the exact same burn rates. Longest airborne was 16 hours. Are they operating at extremely low altitudes when they do this? I mean we were in the low teens. No where near cruising altitude.

I never understood this. Ive done many, MANY, long rang missions in a airplane with the exact same motor with the exact same burn rates. Longest airborne was 16 hours. Are they operating at extremely low altitudes when they do this? I mean we were in the low teens. No where near cruising altitude.

I believe the P-3 guys flew around 500' AGL (that's not missing a 0) when they were doing their sub hunting stuff

What is the fuel capacity of a C-130 & P-3? that might be your answer as to why shutting engines down while loitering was common practice.

Occasionally it led to mishaps, including one that ended with a spectacular split-s.

Back