Seaplanes for the Air Force, maybe.

I am so disappointed with that. Like, make some conformal tanks in the shape of a boat hull or something.

Or, this being the 21st century, I am surprised it isn't skis mounted on inflatable pontoons that can be deflated and made smaller in flight (the article hints at that). I guess maybe the venn diagram of fast/long-range and "needs to land on or next-to an ice shelf doesn't have much overlap. Maybe do some interdiction to those North Korea sanctions-busting ships that transfer cargo out in the middle of the ocean?!

Oh I can’t wait for the aerodynamics study on that thing in a tanker configuration….

For those of you that don’t understand it, the C-130J is the 737 of military aviation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really want to fly one on floats, but there are a lot of questions.

Great, you get the floats to work!
What is the cargo weight, airspeed, range penalties?
How do you load/unload the cargo?
Can it be applied to any C-130?
If so, how long would the conversion take?
What equipment would be required? (lifts, cranes, float pits?)

Additional possibility:
Can the floats be detached in flight?
Rally point on water 1000km from destination (refueling from propositioned ship/submersible) Takeoff from water and discard the floats once airborne.

For those of you that don’t understand it, the C-130J is the 737 of military aviation.

I particularly enjoyed "harvest hawk". I think we keep making Hercules do everything because they always look so happy, which makes all the people so happy

In other news, Wipaire announces the WIPLINE 180000...

“Hey Airman, go pump out the floats.”

1631792873065.jpeg

Oh I can’t wait for the aerodynamics study on that thing in a tanker configuration….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never heard this before, and now I'll never be able to unhear it. However, I think you're giving the 737 too much credit.

Back