Sean "Puffy" Combs Grounding Private Jet

TurdBird

Sean "Puffy" Combs grounding private jet -- to save bucks

Julie Tilsner
Aug 26th 2008 at 7:00PM
Filed under: Entrepreneurship, Transportation, Wealth, Travel

It seems that Sean Combs, the entrepreneur-turned rap singer-turned-fashion-designer-cum-man- about-town (also sometimes known as P. Diddy or Puff Daddy or Diddy or variations on same) is grounding his private jet because of the extravagant cost of fuel.

I'd call it a Sign O' the Times, but that's the title of a song from another singer with an ever-changing name (Prince).

According to this item on Perez Hilton's celebrity gossip website, it costs about $250K for two round trips between New York and L.A. Combs, who juggles a Hollywood career with a thriving clothing business and other ventures in New York, thinks that's just too much. This from a multi-millionaire, (number 33 this year on the Forbes Celebrity 100 list) who's famous for, among many other things, his annual White Ball, in which the (very) rich, (very) famous and (very) beautiful show up to an elite location for a night of glamor and partying, clad only in white.

In a statement he makes on his video blog (warning: There's some salty language here), the mogul says "Gas is too ########## high." And until it goes down, he claims he'll be flying commercial. And coach class! (clearly he speaks out of total ignorance of what coach class has become in the last decade). That ain't gonna happen. He'll be in First Class before the plane takes off.

There's a larger message here. Combs likes to think of himself as one of the people -- he grew up in a Harlem housing project -- but he can certainly afford to fly in style. It can't be to simply save costs (he probably easily spends $250K a month on suits). My fellow WalletPopper Josh Smith wonders why Combs, arguably a master of marketing, didn't announce he was grounding his jet in the name of going green, or leaving less of a carbon footprint, or any number of good politically-correct reasons that would keep his name prominent and the money rolling in.

Maybe he just wants to make a statement -- the cost of fuel is affecting everyone, even the rich and famous. If that's what it takes to get our leaders to at the very least pass a sensible energy policy, then I applaud him. Otherwise, call me a cynic: it won't be too long before he's back in the air spreading his wealth.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2008/...e-bucks/?icid=200100397x1208546561x1200490721

Who's thrilled to have him in the back? Oh wait, I mean up front. :sarcasm:

(Didn't a thread about this get modded the other day?)

Puff, thanks for your money and not bringing your style to first class. (wait, he's actually a pretty fashionable person, isn't he?)

I be ok wit it. I am sure Puff..Didd..P..Didd whoever is doing just fine and it is for publicity. I am not sure how much he has in the bank but he is pretty well diversified.

He shows his mastery of the english language in his Youtube puff blog....I put frownies where he is demonstrated his use of the fornication word.
"Eh yo what’s up ya’ll, this is your boy, um, I’m here today, this is called Diddy blog number what, Diddy blog number 12, Diddy blog number 12, Gas prices are too :mad: high. As you know, I do own my own jet but I have been havin to fly back and forth to LA to pursue my acting career. Ok, now, if I’m flying back and forth, like, twice in a month that’s like 200,000, 250,000 round trip. :mad: that. I’m back on American Airlines right now. Ok? Check this out. Your boy Diddy right now is on American Airlines. Look. Gas prices are too :mad: high. I want to give a shout out to all my Saudi Arabian brothers and sisters and all my brothers and sisters from all the countries that have oil, if y’all could please send me some oil for my jet I would truly appreciate it. But right now, I am actually, can you believe it, I am actually flying commercial. That’s how high gas prices are ok, so I feel you. Look, I’m at the gate right now. This is really happening. This is proof that gas prices are too high, we need to do something about it, so tell whoever the next president is that we need to bring gas back down.”

love the use of the frownies!! what a neat idea!

also, yes the posting of the actual youtube video did get modded out because of the extreme use of his mouth (foul language). but having an article about it is no big thang.

Ok, now, if I’m flying back and forth, like, twice in a month that’s like 200,000, 250,000 round trip. :mad: that.

$250k for two round trips? Right.. he is either writing off the skanks in the airplane and/or he has a very good tax guy. I doubt you could spend that much on two round trips using a 727 doing 0.87M the whole way...

$250k for two round trips? Right.. he is either writing off the skanks in the airplane and/or he has a very good tax guy. I doubt you could spend that much on two round trips using a 727 doing 0.87M the whole way...

Hahaha. It's gotta be writing off the skanks. That's funny tho.

$125k a roundtrip sounds like he's not only paying for gas but charter fees.

Must be some nice stuff provided in those 'charter fees'. Just bumping around the net you can find charters for about $8k/hr. So.. let's just say JFK-LAX round trip and total of 12hrs. That's $96k.. I think it is IRS Code, SEXTION 403B, paragraph 7, subpart B, the "Skank Allowances" that makes up for the other $30K. :)

I could be wrong. Check with H*R Block...

Must be some nice stuff provided in those 'charter fees'. Just bumping around the net you can find charters for about $8k/hr. So.. let's just say JFK-LAX round trip and total of 12hrs. That's $96k.. I think it is IRS Code, SEXTION 403B, paragraph 7, subpart B, the "Skank Allowances" that makes up for the other $30K. :)

I could be wrong. Check with H*R Block...
Don't you mean the #### block (I thnk it's 5th and T Street in Sac Town).

Smileys were a GREAT idea . . .

That cost might be correct if those were the only two flights the aircraft took that month. All the fixed costs don't go away just because the plane doesn't fly.

If so, though, it kind of negates his tirade against fuel costs as being the factor that tips the scale.

Why didn't he just charter a smaller plane?

Word is no one will charter to him. He has been banned from quite a few large companies.

Must be some nice stuff provided in those 'charter fees'. Just bumping around the net you can find charters for about $8k/hr. So.. let's just say JFK-LAX round trip and total of 12hrs. That's $96k..

He'd have to pay for it to sit in LAX (normally a two hour daily charge) or pay to fly it back to TEB and then pay for it to come back to get him. Charting isn't cheap.

Alex.

Back