Scope of a CFI Airplane Intial

awbmof

I am coming up on my CFI practical in about a month and I am curious about the scope of the check-ride as related to endorsements. Since I have a tail wheel endorsement should I be prepared to teach a lesson on tail wheel flying in the event I am asked by the examiner or is it out of scope for the practical?

Anything is fair game but they tend to focus on much more important stuff......such as airport security ha ha ha ha. Seriously he asked me about that on mine relating to general aviation.

My examiner just told me to prepare a lesson ahead of time on any subject of my choosing. At first, I thought I should pick something hard, like Pylon Eights, but after talking to a few folks, they encouraged me to pick something more general. I chose Stalls. I asked the examiner ahead of time about it, and he said it was fine. That took a lot of stress off me, and the oral and practical checkride went fine.

Thank you, sounds like I should at least be ready to talk about tail wheel differences and transition training just in case it comes up. Probably should have a couple of tail wheel transition lesson plans in my back pocket just to solidify my presentation and subject matter knowledge. Just for informational purposes, I am planning on taking the check-ride in a Cessna 182RG.

I'd prepare on tailwheel - the examiner would be far more interested in that, good way to get brownie points.

Honestly, I just called my examiner and nicely asked what lesson he wanted me to teach and anything in specific that we might go over.

Spent most of my oral on the minor stuff but he wanted large teaching details on stall/spin awareness, weight & balance and all emergencies...especially emergency landing.

Just please go into your checkride comfortable that you'll pass. It sucks that there's always that one moment in a checkride where you freak out you might fail but other than that 5 second panic....they want you to pass. I told myself everyday of my 45 straight days of studying...it's my checkride to fail.

Also, I learned the most from my CFI-A checkride as well. Best one I've taken so far. My examiner also emphasized the point that we really don't know a lot and it's a continually learning process. Ended up asking me tons of engineering questions with the Cessna 172R and why certain things were constructing and located on the aircraft the way they were. Of course being on a checkride I started guessing rather than saying "I don't know" and he just looks at me and says "really, that's what you're gonna tell a student " and I said " No, I'll probably just say I don't know" and he said "okay, tell me you don't know"...kinda just proving his point that we aren't perfect and don't become a cocky CFI that thinks he knows it all because nobody does and those are the ones that cost you.

Anyways, good luck!

Best advice I ever got, was before my CFI checkride..."Think twice, answer once". Won't let you down :)

+1 for talking to your examiner beforehand to see what he wants from you. I also had a printed copy of AC61-65 and that was priceless as I could just talk through many of the endorsement questions he asked.

One of the best things I was told when preparing for the CFI-A checkride was to go through the PTS and have an answer for every item in there. I did that as best as i could and I had no issue during the checkride.

Best of luck!

Back