Scenic Airlines Hiring Again

JaceTheAce

I do not know anything about this position so please no PMs. I just found it on the Scenic Airlines website. Scenic and Grand Canyon Airlines are the same company. Now they require 100TT and 100ME - it used to be wet Commercial/Multi/Instrument a year ago.

Love to fly? Grand Canyon Airlines operates under FAR part 135 unscheduled flight and duty time regulations. Our pilots can fly 100 or more flight hours per month during the summer season.

Captain applicants require ATP with 3,000 total time and 1,000 hours multi-engine experience.

First Officers need a minimum 1000 total and 100 hrs Multi-engine. Minimums may be reduced depending on experience.

Pilots with less than 600 hours total time need not apply.
Competitive pay and benefits.

Domiciles are Boulder City (Las Vegas, NV) and Grand Canyon, AZ.

E-Mail Resume to pilots@grandcanyonairlines.com or Fax to (928) 638-0997 attention Chief Pilot *No Phone Calls Please *

What a difference a year makes. I remember when mins were 600/50, but they actually hired with less.

Be sure to talk to some of their current pilots. The off season is coming up, and their monthly guarantee isn't exactly a livable wage.

My room mates both are pilots with GCA. Both are furloughed at the end of this month. There is a slight chance one may get a Twin Otter slot (SIC) in the next couple months. I know there is some movement of current pilots so maybe something will be opening up. I'll see what more I can find out.

FYI: GCA is hosting a festivity featuring history of the company at Boulder City, NV on the 18th. Starts at 1700. I don't know if that's just for current employees or not. But since it's in Boulder I suspect many of their people will not be able to make it. Think meet & greet.

After reading your post again, I am assuming your roommates are flying the 207 for Air Grand Canyon? I'm totally out of the loop at what happens over at AGC, but I know that as of now, GCA or Scenic are not furloughing anyone for the Twin Otter. Hiring, not so sure. We are starting to get into the slow season... we'll see.

I do not know anything about this position so please no PMs. I just found it on the Scenic Airlines website. Scenic and Grand Canyon Airlines are the same company. Now they require 100TT and 100ME - it used to be wet Commercial/Multi/Instrument a year ago.

Note to Grand Canyon tourists: RUN!

Word: two independant sources (not my room mates) stated February for next ground school for the Otter.

Perhaps Scenic is advertising now to deepen the pool of applicants. That's speculation....

I'll know they're hiring when John tells me he gets to "go in to work an hour later than normal next month."

Or when Vheissu says "hey, I'm tired of this crap. I'm leaving. So are twenty of my friends"

Their mins basically scream not hiring. A few months ago they were lucky if somone responded now their mins are higher than some 121 regionals?

Today, two other Otter pilots reported no movement* in the twin Otters. I mean, who would know better?

*No movement = no layoffs, no new hiring.

However, I would say to whomever thinks they have a shot to get your app in for a possible Feb ground school. I predict advertised hiring mins will decrease towards the latter part of the year.

That is about right. I am only flying about 30 hours a month right now on the Otter... Don't think we will be furloughing but I don't see any hiring soon. Whole industry is in a slow down... in the past I've heard of Scenic pilots getting around 100 hours a month in the busy season. I've never even cracked 60.

I also felt I should add that the hiring minimums that are posting are OLD Grand Canyon Airlines minimums. I only know of a few people hired in the past year that had more than 300 hours. I'm not quite sure why GCA still has those minimums posted, considering all of the hiring is done through Scenic now. If you want to apply check out http://www.scenicops.com/scenicpilot/hiring.html

I also felt I should add that the hiring minimums that are posting are OLD Grand Canyon Airlines minimums. I only know of a few people hired in the past year that had more than 300 hours. I'm not quite sure why GCA still has those minimums posted, considering all of the hiring is done through Scenic now. If you want to apply check out http://www.scenicops.com/scenicpilot/hiring.html

How is scenic as a place to work in general (leaving pay out of the equation)?

Now, on pay, do FO's really only make $12.50/hour with no guarantee (it's what I heard)?

Knowing the pay is very low, is it possible to live in the area on the pay alone? If not, do you all work somewhere else part-time that is flexible enough with the Scenic schedule to allow you to fly and also work the part-time job?

Just curious. Flying the Otter is of interest to me and I know it won't make me rich, but I don't want to go bankrupt doing it either (just want to be able to get by and still have a smile on my face at the end of the day).

Thanks!

How is scenic as a place to work in general (leaving pay out of the equation)?

Now, on pay, do FO's really only make $12.50/hour with no guarantee (it's what I heard)?

Knowing the pay is very low, is it possible to live in the area on the pay alone? If not, do you all work somewhere else part-time that is flexible enough with the Scenic schedule to allow you to fly and also work the part-time job?

Just curious. Flying the Otter is of interest to me and I know it won't make me rich, but I don't want to go bankrupt doing it either (just want to be able to get by and still have a smile on my face at the end of the day).

Thanks!

Scenic is definitely a stepping stone, that's for sure. The pilot group is really good, and the Otter is a blast to fly. Downsides are all VFR flying, and we only go to two airports. Going to the same two airports gets old really fast.

FO pay is $12 an hour. It's all duty time, so you get paid from clock in to clock out no matter how many hours you actually fly. Guarantee is 64.6 duty hours per pay period. It works out to around $1300 a month. Living by yourself would be hard in Vegas, depending on all your bills. I live with a roommate and I barely survive.

You might be able to do a part time job in the winter. I am trying, but its hard because you never know when your going to work until the night before. As far as hiring, my guess would be spring sometime. Things are already slowing down like crazy here, and I think we are pretty well staffed for the winter, especially with everyone staying put.

Thanks for the reply. I may toss my hat in the ring on this if I could figure out how to survive. I do have a quite lucrative part-time job that follows me where ever I go, so I should be able to pull this off. Sounds like a fun place.

Back