San Jose airport pointers

jon wilson

Pilot4Life
Hello everyone. I got to do a charter to San Jose airport. I'm coming from the north. Any pointers would be helpful. Cessna 182

SJC and not RHV I'm guessing? SJC gets tons of GA traffic, there is commonly VFR pattern work being flown there, it's no big deal to fly in there in a piston at all. You'll probably either join the left downwind from midfield or out by Moffett for 30L, FBO's are all lined up to the left side of that runway, it is very straight forward. There are no unexpected procedures other than the typical wake turbulence concerns you have at any airport with lots of GA and airline traffic mixed and usually there are minimal delays to get you in, if any.

I’ve not been there in 10 years.
  • Look at their VFR reporting points. They were really busy my first trip and WTF is a Prune Yard?
  • I was there 3 nights and parking was about 1/2 my fuel bill. At the last second all parking fees were waved with a 40 gallon purchase.
  • Gone are the Left, Right and Center runways. I was assigned the center runway flying formation with a Lear on the right. It was a real Where’s Waldo moment trying to find the third runway from 6 or 7 miles.
  • 240FB6AE-D040-4DD6-9078-1B0429C35CCD.png

Last edited:
I’ve not been there in 10 years.
  • Look at their VFR reporting points. They were really busy my first trip and WTF is a Prune Yard?
  • I was there 3 nights and parking was about 1/2 my fuel bill. At the last second all parking fees were waved with a 40 gallon purchase.
  • Gone are the Left, Right and Center runways. I was assigned the center runway flying formation with a Lear on the right. It was a real Where’s Waldo moment trying to find the third runway from 6 or 7 miles.
  • View attachment 59619
I'll ask for vectors to downwindand tell them unfamiliar. It seems like it takes some stress away from the flight.

I'll ask for vectors to downwind and tell them unfamiliar. It seems like it takes some stress away from the flight.
The reporting point in question did have a GPS name.

I may not have done the preflight work I should have done.

Back