Safety Pilot time to complete 1500?

RECOVER

In the void
Greetings,

After a hiatus from flying I have been looking for places to rent to finish off my ATP mins 1500 (as well as as some cheaper multi time). The cheap places I have been looking at renting have dual checked out pilots required even for single engine operations with no dual given or received allowed (I am an experienced CFI). I am not used to the safety pilot rule. Does the person under the hood have to perform approaches for the time to count or is it just under being under the hood? Would 25-40 hours of ME as safety pilot look odd? Would safety pilot single engine time look odd after over 1100 hours of dual given?

It's going to vary from interviewer to interviewer. It's legal. One pilot has to be under the hood. No requirement for approaches. I think in your situation it's pretty explainable as you ARE a CFI but haven't been practicing the trade and you don't have a job as a CFI and want to get this done quickly. How much is too much? Again, it's legal with no limit. 40 hours ME to get yourself to a hirable number makes sense. 300 hours of single cause you didn't want to work as a CFI? Really depends on the person but myself I'm not a fan of a lot of safety pilot time. It's sort of a loophole in the FAR's. Take advantage of it but don't abuse it. Where the line is going to be on that depends on how much the interviewer has and how common it is.

Greetings,

After a hiatus from flying I have been looking for places to rent to finish off my ATP mins 1500 (as well as as some cheaper multi time). The cheap places I have been looking at renting have dual checked out pilots required even for single engine operations with no dual given or received allowed (I am an experienced CFI). I am not used to the safety pilot rule. Does the person under the hood have to perform approaches for the time to count or is it just under being under the hood? Would 25-40 hours of ME as safety pilot look odd? Would safety pilot single engine time look odd after over 1100 hours of dual given?

Can I ask why you are renting rather than doing part-time CFI work? The industry needs good instructors. As someone who is currently teaching, my knowledge bank has increased exponentially in a small period of time simply by doing lesson plans and preparing for my sessions. Why not get paid to get that time needed to reach 1500?

I see you said "after a hiatus from flying." If you are concerned about being out of the game for a while and not being prepared to CFI, I will tell you that I took a 19-year break from flying anything piston-driven. When I was hired as an instructor, I dived into the books to refresh my memory on things I had not used or studied in over 20 years. It all came back very quickly. I'm sure you could do the same if that is what is holding you back.

Like how much “safety pilot time”?

If it’s a significant percentage of your flight time, no. If it’s just a touch here and there, ok.

Heavily suggest doing some flight instruction work.

Can I ask why you are renting rather than doing part-time CFI work? The industry needs good instructors. As someone who is currently teaching, my knowledge bank has increased exponentially in a small period of time simply by doing lesson plans and preparing for my sessions. Why not get paid to get that time needed to reach 1500?

I see you said "after a hiatus from flying." If you are concerned about being out of the game for a while and not being prepared to CFI, I will tell you that I took a 19-year break from flying anything piston-driven. When I was hired as an instructor, I dived into the books to refresh my memory on things I had not used or studied in over 20 years. It all came back very quickly. I'm sure you could do the same if that is what is holding you back.
My hiatus is currently at 5 months from medical reasons, (class 1 secured), not out of the game but not interested in taking students i really dont have the time to finish and don't want to abuse anyone. i need less than 55 hours, i have applied everywhere i am at within 100 miles. My last outfit contract expired.

Last edited:
My hiatus is currently at 5 months from medical reasons, (class 1 secured), not out of the game but not interested in taking students i really dont have the time to finish and don't want to abuse anyone. i need less than 55 hours, i have applied everywhere i am at within 100 miles. My last outfit contract expired.
My last contract CFI job was for a club with a no-compete clause and 100% not interested in that or the association any more as they don't have aircraft availability and way too many instructors for 3 aircraft.

Like how much “safety pilot time”?

If it’s a significant percentage of your flight time, no. If it’s just a touch here and there, ok.

Heavily suggest doing some flight instruction work.

I've heard exactly the opposite of this too. That dual given, not towards a certificate or rating doesn't look good for interviews. I'm usually doing it because insurance companies are requiring 10 hours dual, or 25 dual in make & model, etc. The "transition training" requirements, in general, seem to be an order of magnitude higher in the owned market vs. flight schools. On the other hand, it is mostly airline pilots that were never CFI's I've heard this from though.

Back