Saab drivers.. I've got a question...

Tram

Looking to see if a Saab driver could tell me something.

I'm looking for an estimated fuel burn figure per hour for first and second hours of flight.

Also curious what the average fuel burn might look like from ATL to MSL.

Just had a discussion with a friend about fuel burn in the Saab and thought I'd see who was closer. ;)

I'm looking for an estimated fuel burn figure per hour for first and second hours of flight.

Just had a discussion with a friend about fuel burn in the Saab and thought I'd see who was closer. ;)
1200 pph seemed to be normal if you are flying max torque. I've seen more and I've seen less but on average that's about right.

Buddy of mine is the airport manager, he's trying to decide how much extra fuel he needs to keep on hand. ;)

I guessed 1500pph.. ;)

Tell your airport manager that bottleneck to the GA ramp/self serve gas is a safety hazard.

Anyway, 1200pph, but figure some takeoff and climb and the first hour is probably closer or more than 1500pph than 1200pph.

I would say 1500 is being generous but if you are going to airports with long wheels up times or plan on holding that extra fuel comes in handy. The IAD flying you guys do shouldn't need more than 1200. I tried to always leave with 2600 since it didn't mess with any weight issues.

We're probably going to bring fuel out of ATL and hardly fuel in MSL. That is if they run the operation like they do IAD.
That being said, the most I've added at an outstation is 120 gallons, usually more like 70-90 gallons.

As far as burn, I expect MSL to ATL to be planned with somewhere in the 800-900 lb burn range. Like has been said, burns are generally in the 1500 lb/hr range for climb and 1100-1200 lb/hr in cruise

I would say 1500 is being generous but if you are going to airports with long wheels up times or plan on holding that extra fuel comes in handy. The IAD flying you guys do shouldn't need more than 1200. I tried to always leave with 2600 since it didn't mess with any weight issues.

I agree with the 2600 lbs. That gives me plenty to play with in and out of IAD. Thing is, our dispatchers like to fuel us for three legs (we do multiple leg releases) and try to fuel only in the hubs when we have longer turn times. Usually end up leaving IAD with 3200-3600 lbs of fuel, but if the payload is really high, they will generally cut it back and fuel somewhere along the way. Even with that, I've seen it as high as 5000 lbs on the release out of IAD before.

We're probably going to bring fuel out of ATL and hardly fuel in MSL. That is if they run the operation like they do IAD.
That being said, the most I've added at an outstation is 120 gallons, usually more like 70-90 gallons.

As far as burn, I expect MSL to ATL to be planned with somewhere in the 800-900 lb burn range. Like has been said, burns are generally in the 1500 lb/hr range for climb and 1100-1200 lb/hr in cruise

I agree with the 2600 lbs. That gives me plenty to play with in and out of IAD. Thing is, our dispatchers like to fuel us for three legs (we do multiple leg releases) and try to fuel only in the hubs when we have longer turn times. Usually end up leaving IAD with 3200-3600 lbs of fuel, but if the payload is really high, they will generally cut it back and fuel somewhere along the way. Even with that, I've seen it as high as 5000 lbs on the release out of IAD before.

5000!?? Holy crap! The only time I ever burned more than 1000lbs on a leg was going to BGM and HPN, and I know you guys don't go to those destinations. How full are those EAS flights? MGW / CKB sometimes got to be a bit sketchy with the weights.

Once did I ever see 5690lbs, and that was on a reposition down to IAH from IAD.

And here you go... Good luck... :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348666141.607761.jpg

When I was fueling Saabs for a little airline in ANC we'd regularly top them off for runs down to DUT. One Capt even requested we over wing after that.

That said, if wx or loads were an issue we'd plan for one, sometimes two fuel stops on the way down. (AKN and/or CDB)

5000!?? Holy crap! The only time I ever burned more than 1000lbs on a leg was going to BGM and HPN, and I know you guys don't go to those destinations. How full are those EAS flights? MGW / CKB sometimes got to be a bit sketchy with the weights.

Once did I ever see 5690lbs, and that was on a reposition down to IAH from IAD.

I was released with 5000, but I managed to talk dispatch out of carrying fuel from IAD and getting fuel in MGW. Had to take care of my jumpseaters :)

Got to the airplane this afternoon and they had fueled it to 5400 rather than 3600. Ummmm... yeah. That made for an interesting conversation with dispatch. Had to get real creative on burning fuel to get us down to a weight where we could carry all of the passengers out of MGW.

As far as the CKB/MGW route, it's hit or miss. I've taken a full boat someways and others we are carrying around several hundred pounds of ballast all day.

I know I just quoted myself, but...

Tram

We are doing round trip fuel for MSL out of ATL. Unless we are going to be really heavy and have to sacrifice return fuel for payload, we won't be getting fuel there.

Burns are ~1050 to 1100 each leg. BAR fuel back to ATL with an alternate of MSL is 2.7, so if I landed with only my reserves left in the tanks that would only be about *grabbing calculator* 275 or so gallons needed to get me back to BAR fuel and another 75 to get to our desired fuel. Again, that is worst case scenario for a single leg back to ATL.

Help spread the word... loads are really, really, really low out of MSL right now (like 0 pax kind of low).

Back