S-58

JLF

A Sikorsky S-58 came into work yesterday. What a BEAST. Midwest Helicopters is the company. Super cool crew too. I might be able to scrounge up a USB cable for my phone and post some pics. It's weird putting 200 Gallons of JET/A in a helicopter:insane:. I'm so intrigued by heavy iron...totally impressive.

On a side note:

The pilot sitting left seat in the S-58 that was training went the civilian route, and so have a lot of other helo pilots I've talked to lately. All of the helicopter pilots that staged at EYE for the INDY 500 went the civilian route; with exception of the Blackhawk pilots:cool:.

I was surprised about that. One kid(25ish)was flying a Bell 206 over the track to provide the signal relay for the network. He had less than 700 TT.
Verrrrry interesting...

Try putting over 1000 gallons of Jet A in a Chinook!

Good to know career helicopter pilots can make it starting from scratch in the civilian sector. That's awesome. Lots of dedication there.

You must be thinking of the 22. I can see why nothing, can match the awesomeness that is the mighty weed eater of the sky.

UH60driver said:
I thought the S-58 had a piston engine. Hmmmm?

I looked at the data plate and it was definitely an S-58. Another guy at work said that one comes in just like it except it's piston. I thought he must be mistaken because I couldn't even conceive the piston engine that would lift that monster.

AP2B said:
I looked at the data plate and it was definitely an S-58. Another guy at work said that one comes in just like it except it's piston. I thought he must be mistaken because I couldn't even conceive the piston engine that would lift that monster.

The piston engine is a radial engine, which tends to be more powerful than the small conventional engine you might have in mind. It is also very reliable.

Additionally, when it comes to power required to lift, the transmission plays an important role since energy is either increased or decreased there.

AP2B said:
I was surprised about that. One kid(25ish)was flying a Bell 206 over the track to provide the signal relay for the network. He had less than 700 TT. Verrrrry interesting...

700tt is pretty low, considering the part that insurance companies play in this business. I had a good friend, who I flew with in the Guard, who did this job and he ended up killing himself flying to one of the events. There is a big story behind this but bottom line was he made bad decisions.

Jim

700tt is pretty low

Yeah, I was surprised at his time. We talked quite a bit and I got the feeling he had an "in". It was just him and the 206, no crew or anything. I also learned that turbine helicopters like the Bell 206 don't require a type rating. I didn't know that before he told me.

AP2B said:
Yeah, I was surprised at his time. We talked quite a bit and I got the feeling he had an "in". It was just him and the 206, no crew or anything. I also learned that turbine helicopters like the Bell 206 don't require a type rating. I didn't know that before he told me.

Yup, the 206 is a single pilot helicopter. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need a type in helicopters unless it's over 12,500 lbs. Turbine doesn't matter. I am typed in the CH-47, but then again, aren't blackhawks and apaches over 12,500? Never knew anyone typed in those. Guess I could look all this up but it's sunday and band of brothers is on, so maybe another time.

ChinookDriver said:
Yup, the 206 is a single pilot helicopter. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need a type in helicopters unless it's over 12,500 lbs. Turbine doesn't matter. I am typed in the CH-47, but then again, aren't blackhawks and apaches over 12,500? Never knew anyone typed in those. Guess I could look all this up but it's sunday and band of brothers is on, so maybe another time.

Hey Chinook, check this AC 61-89E. It gives a list of rotorcraft ratings that placed on airman certificates. See appendix 2.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/e6f473d2ab86c8cc86256ab600731af2/$FILE/Ac61-89e.pdf

As far as there being a type rating for the UH-60, I haven't seen one.

Luis

UH60driver said:
Hey Chinook, check this AC 61-89E. It gives a list of rotorcraft ratings that placed on airman certificates. See appendix 2.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/e6f473d2ab86c8cc86256ab600731af2/$FILE/Ac61-89e.pdf

As far as there being a type rating for the UH-60, I haven't seen one.

Luis

Sweet! Nice reference. Looks like most rotorcraft only need to be typed if you have an ATP. And yeah, no UH-60 there that I see, but the Bell 206 needs to be typed if you have an ATP. Weird.

Back