RV-6, missing since 2011, found in Grand Canyon

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Found this past week by members of a boating trip near Emerald Canyon in the Colorado River, with human remains still in the cockpit. Wreckage and N-number match a red RV-6 missing since 11 March 2011 having departed Tusayan, and having come from Glendale, AZ.

It appears that at least one more missing aircraft case can finally come to a close.

From the NTSB files:

"On March 11, 2011, at 0820 Mountain standard time, an experimental Radford RV-6, N650RV, departed Grand Canyon National Park Airport, Tusayan, Arizona, en route to an unknown destination. Since that time, the commercial pilot, who was the sole occupant, has not been heard from, and the airplane, which was owned and operated by the pilot, has not been found and is presumed to have crashed. The airplane was being operated as a 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed in the area around Tusayan at the time of departure. No flight plan had been filed. There was no report of a sustained emergency locator transmitter (ELT) signal.

According to the Glendale, Arizona, Police Department, the pilot was involved in an argument with his wife around 0400 on the morning of March 11, 2011. Soon thereafter he was involved in a telephone conversation with an individual that the police report referred to as his girlfriend. During that phone conversation, the pilot stated that he was going to kill himself, that he had a plan in place, and that it was too late to stop him. About 0615 that morning, the pilot was seen at the Glendale Airport, and when Glendale Tower began operation at 0630, the pilot had already departed. After departure, he flew to Tusayan, Arizona, where he landed and took on 10 gallons of 100LL aviation fuel, prior to departing there at 0820. According to recorded radar tracking data, it appears that the pilot turned off his transponder about one minute after takeoff, as all radar data after 0821 was primary data with no altitude information. The primary track continued to the northwest for about nine minutes, with the last positive radar hit being at 36 degrees, 10.22 minutes North by 122 degrees, 16.36 minutes West.

A few days after the plane was reported missing, a package, which was mailed prior to the accident flight, was received by the person whom the pilot talked to by phone early on the morning of March 11, 2011. In that package was a letter within which the pilot referred to himself in the past tense."

Incredible that it took 4 years to find it! It's a small world and yet........

Incredible that it took 4 years to find it! It's a small world and yet........
Actually this is not uncommon in the Southwest. Often when searchers are looking for a lost aircraft they will find other aircraft wrecks. When I was there and RV went missing (was found about six months later), and they found an old WWII wreck during the search. Mike probably remembers the case of a couple that disappeared in a 182 from the Phoenix area about 8 years ago. There was speculation that they ran off to Mexico together and other theories. Several years later hikers near Sedona found the wreckage.

Seems like a huge waste of resources to search for an intentionally crashed aircraft.
I doubt the SAR folks knew it was intentional when they started looking, I'd guess they would treat it just like any other missing aircraft.

Seems like a huge waste of resources to search for an intentionally crashed aircraft.

It's human nature to bring our brothers home. Even the crazy brothers who we didn't talk to much, and probably wouldn't have gotten much beyond a $50 best buy gift card for their inheritance, because that's what happens when you don't call home every once in awhile.

Actually this is not uncommon in the Southwest. Often when searchers are looking for a lost aircraft they will find other aircraft wrecks. When I was there and RV went missing (was found about six months later), and they found an old WWII wreck during the search. Mike probably remembers the case of a couple that disappeared in a 182 from the Phoenix area about 8 years ago. There was speculation that they ran off to Mexico together and other theories. Several years later hikers near Sedona found the wreckage.
Yeah, I remember Fosset not being found for the longest time; with today's technology, it still surprise me a little.

On the other hand, Flight 370 is still missing........

There are worse things in the world than your wife learning about your girlfriend.

Back