Runway heading/track

machbias

Hi there, question for ATC guys:

What exactly you guys mean by issuing a "fly runway heading" clearance for a departing aircraft?

1. Do you want me to fly that runway heading as published?

2. Do you want me to stay in the extended centerline?

3. If my airplane is equipped with a track mode, may I fly track selected to the runway heading?

Appreciate any comments.:

thank you

RUNWAY HEADING- The magnetic direction that corresponds with the runway centerline extended, not the painted runway number. When cleared to "fly or maintain runway heading," pilots are expected to fly or maintain the heading that corresponds with the extended centerline of the departure runway. Drift correction shall not be applied; e.g., Runway 4, actual magnetic heading of the runway centerline 044, fly 044.

Good question/answer, thanks machbias and daveatc. So when I depart runway 33R here in Baltimore, I'll steer 335°. My homework for tonight is to go through the rest of the Pilot/Controller Glossary and see what else I don't know!

Mike

Thanks everyone.

The interpretation seems to vary around the world. I asked the same question to some UK ATC guys and they came up with various different answers:)
Basically, most of them agree that they want you to stay on the extended centerline; don't stray.

I fly based in the M.E. and in this part of the world only God knows what the interpretation is, because they really don't care if you are flying heading or track. ATC wouldn't know it anyway:) They see you tracking the centerline and seem to be a happy bunch about it, regardless of where the nose of your airplane is pointing to.

Recently, I had a little row with a check pilot on this matter so I went around asking questions:)) :argue: In the B777, we usually select track for take off, because LNAV will do the job anyway, regardless of what is in there on the MCP. The doubt appears when you don't have a SID or ATC tells you to fly runway heading.

Thanks again

Maximillian_Jenius said:
What about in a situation like KTUS where rwy. 11L/R is technically magnetic 120. Do you fly 110 or 120 if told to fly runway heading!

daveatc said:
RUNWAY HEADING- The magnetic direction that corresponds with the runway centerline extended, not the painted runway number. When cleared to "fly or maintain runway heading," pilots are expected to fly or maintain the heading that corresponds with the extended centerline of the departure runway. Drift correction shall not be applied; e.g., Runway 4, actual magnetic heading of the runway centerline 044, fly 044.

:insane: :insane: . Read the thread, Max!!!:insane: :insane:

ATC guys and gals...thanks so much for participating in this...it's definitely a very valuable tool for us to talk like this!!!

What about in a situation like KTUS where rwy. 11L/R is technically magnetic 120. Do you fly 110 or 120 if told to fly runway heading!

The easiest rule of thumb...just take off and don't turn at all until someone tells you to. :) 9 times out of 10, departure will radar identify you and turn you in short order before a 3-5 degree disparity between true and magnetic has you deviating off of runway heading to any significance.

When you're lined up on the runway for takeoff, set your heading bug (or imaginary heading bug ;) ) to center, right before you advance the throttle. After you lift off, keep that heading bug centered and don't look behind you to see where you've been. You are flying the runway heading.

Jeremy

Back