JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
NTSB Identification: LAX03FA298A
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, September 23, 2003 in North Las Vegas, NV
Aircraft: Piper PA-28R-200, registration: N8604N
Injuries: 1 Serious, 1 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On September 23, 2003, at 1255 Pacific daylight time, a Piper PA-28R-200 (Arrow), N8604N, and a Piper PA-46-350P (Mirage), N146PM, collided at the crossing points of runways 7 and 12R at the North Las Vegas Airport (VGT), North Las Vegas, Nevada. The Arrow was on final for runway 12R, and the Mirage had started the takeoff roll on runway 7. West Air Aviation operated the Arrow, and the pilot/owner operated the Mirage. Both airplanes were being operated under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91. The private pilot in the Arrow sustained a serious injury, and the private pilot in the Mirage sustained a minor injury. Both airplanes sustained substantial damage. The Arrow departed North Las Vegas at an unknown time, and the Mirage was originating on a cross-country flight en route to Salt Lake City, Utah. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for both flights, and no flight plans had been filed.

Investigators interviewed two witnesses regarding the accident. They were in their hangar, listening to the local area traffic via a handheld radio. The Arrow was cleared to land on runway 12R. During this time, the Mirage was taxiing to runway 7. As the Mirage was cleared for takeoff on runway 7, the witness walked outside to view the airplane's takeoff. It started the takeoff roll for runway 7, and the Arrow was on final for runway 12R. The Arrow began to slow and entered the landing flare. The airplanes collided at the crossing point of runways 7 and 12R. As the airplanes collided, an explosion erupted and the airplanes skidded to a stop.

The witnesses were questioned about their experience with air traffic control tower operations at the airport. They said that departures from runway 7 were not common, although the tower would accommodate pilots when able. They commented that the tower controller was "one of the best."

The Arrow came to rest on a magnetic heading of 290 degrees and inverted. The Arrow had red and blue accent colors. Its left wing was resting on top of the left wing of the Mirage. The trailing edge of the right aileron exhibited black rub marks. The engine area sustained extensive fire damage.

The Mirage came to rest on a magnetic heading of 212 degrees, east of runway 12R, and south of runway 7. A skid mark, approximately 105 feet in length, ran straight from runway 7 to the intersection of runways 7 and 12R. The entire left aileron was present at the spar end. The outer 5 feet of the left aileron skin sustained impact damage and was mostly missing. The outboard 2 feet of left aileron spar assembly exhibited red transfer signatures. Slightly aft of the pilot's side window, red and blue scratches ran perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the airplane. The fuselage was punctured below the pilot's side window; the hole was about 1 foot in diameter. The Mirage had black deice boots on the wing leading edge.

Re: Runway Incursion - North Las Vegas

Why am I not surprised by this? Oh yeah...my flight into VGT last month. Same scenario: traffic landing on 12 (a Scenic twin otter), I'm cleared for takeoff on 7. I voice my concerns over the twin otter on a 1 mile final for 12 and say that I'll wait. Tower gets pissy and says that he doesn't want me to wait. Scenic gets a little anxious about me departing in front of them too and says so. Finally, tower gets it and gives me a 'position and hold', waiting until after the twotter lands to clear me for takeoff.

Anybody know who I might call to relate this story? My feeling is that it's not an isolated fluke and that the controller, if it was the same one (likely; same time of day, roughly), needs some refresher training.

Back