RIP Neil Armstrong

images

Beginning of the end of an era.

I used to assume what he said when he stepped on the moon was practiced months ahead of time. However, NASA had no idea. They had enough confidance in him to let him say what he wanted to say.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," Armstrong said

Beginning of the end of an era.

I used to assume what he said when he stepped on the moon was practiced months ahead of time. However, NASA had no idea. They had enough confidance in him to let him say what he wanted to say.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," Armstrong said
Unfortunately the era ended a long time ago with the continuous neutering of America.

From "High Flight":

"And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Farewell and tailwinds to an aviation pioneer and an American hero.

I always heard he botched it, he was supposed to say "That's one small step for A man, one giant leap for mankind."

Either way, his badass-ness knows no bounds.

A true hero, and I hope he is remembered for more than simply saying his famous first words on the moon. His years as a test pilot, and time in the Gemini program helped pave the way for that first step he would eventually take.

I always thought it was too bad that he shunned the spotlight and rarely gave interviews. I respect that he insisted that he wasn't special -- just part of a team -- and that he wanted his privacy, but let's face it: there's only going to ever be one human who first walked on the moon, and he was it.

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

I'll never forget this moment. I think almost everyone in America was huddled around their tvs watching this monumental event. We were all so proud, so unified, so filled with awe and joy. Kids were all building little models of the Apollo and everyone had hope. We were number one in the eyes of the world. Thank you Neil for your legacy and your inspiration to millions.You will be missed and never forgotten.

Back