Returning to GA and Proficiency

Richman

That's "Lord Garth" to you
fkying over open ocean on a moonless night is eye opening of just how dark it can get.
You don't even need to do that. Departing out of KNEW to the north over the lake does the same thing.

That lake as swallowed a LOT of airplanes.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
You don't even need to do that. Departing out of KNEW to the north over the lake does the same thing.

That lake as swallowed a LOT of airplanes.
There are parts of Texas just like that on a moonless night. Nothing out there.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
Never done the hands-off method and always held a lot of backpressure in the turn!
Take a Cessna bug smasher up and establish the steep turn. Now add 100rpm and roll the trim nose up twice. The stability in the airplane will hold it pretty close to the current bank, the added power and trim will compensate for the change in horizontal/ vertical/ total lift & drag. Then just sit back and enjoy the ride.

swakid8

Easy - trim. Power settings vary, but if you start out around 90kts trimmed straight and level, it'll work. Roll into the bank and as you pass through 30 degrees, bump in a couple hundred RPM and drop your hand to the trim wheel - two turns nose up, continuing to bank to 45-50 degrees. If you do it right, you can take your hands off the yoke and she'll hold airspeed and altitude easily. Very small corrections.

I don't teach it hands off right away. My students who have a tendency to overcontrol get this lesson pretty quickly though, and that's when the light goes on that 1) trim is your friend and 2) three fingers are pretty much all you need to fly a 172.
This right here. I usually taught this technique in my CFI days after I learned it while working on my commercial single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autothrust Blue

Very querulous
fkying over open ocean on a moonless night is eye opening of just how dark it can get.
There was an accident up NorCal way off a place called Shelter Cove some time ago and having spent a considerable part of my career off of that coast, at night, my first thought was spatial disorientation.

Well, I assume there was an accident; the airplane, and its occupants, are overdue and presumed lost.