Returning to GA and Proficiency

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
You been in one of the newfangled Pilatupi? Long time. Dem birds gots some serious boxes.
Nope, and I think that ship has sailed. Thing worked just fine the way it was built. FMSes for a 260 knot single engine airplane with a wing the size of a county that can land in 500ft and flies like a cessner, why, it just ain't right, God didn't...ohmygodmyheart. *keels over*

Space Monkey

There are buffers built into it. I’ve seen the speed go above and if it’s just a knot or two for a second it doesn’t trip the mx message. If anyone claims it does, they’re BSing because they either weren’t looking or they were and don’t want to admit how fast they were and how long.
Well, I can't speak to your experience, but in mine I watched it carefully creep -rather slowly, actually- toward a red flag precisely at the limit.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Well, I can't speak to your experience, but in mine I watched it carefully creep -rather slowly, actually- toward a red flag precisely at the limit.
Oh it yells at you and goes red, but it doesn’t trip the aircraft exceedence CAS immediately. Seems reasonable.

Space Monkey

Nope, and I think that ship has sailed. Thing worked just fine the way it was built. FMSes for a 260 knot single engine airplane with a wing the size of a county that can land in 500ft and flies like a cessner, why, it just ain't right, God didn't...ohmygodmyheart. *keels over*
Riiiiiiiight? LMFAO

If you really feel that way, might I interest you in the NEW & IMPROVED Twin Otter. YOU get a whole 170 knots (well, by the book anyway) AND you also get the Honeywell Apex Suite.

Nothing says earth orbit speeds like the Honeywell Apex Avionics Suite. You'll feel like a movie star (in a really crappy car). Buy now and get a free one year subscription to Canada, Eh? Magazine (yeah, we still print shirt on paper in Canada, eh?)

Last edited:

Space Monkey

Do you treat a conventional aircraft the same?
No. Dude, I've flown planes with special overspeed warning kill switches. (I never used them, of course.) So, no. No, I don't. That said, you've got to know your airplane. I know a guy who rolled every airplane he ever flew... except the ones with data collectors.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
It's being "taught" to check a box... usually (sometimes not even that). It is not being inculcated to the instinctive/habitual level. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
guess I’ve been doing it wrong treating it as a proficiency maneuver for students. Ah, the watered down new ways of teaching..... :)

MidlifeFlyer

guess I’ve been doing it wrong treating it as a proficiency maneuver for students. Ah, the watered down new ways of teaching..... :)
Not really. Treating it as a proficiency maneuver vs checking a box is about the instructor, not "new ways of teaching." It's always been like that.

roundout

Bus Driver
Yes, I did during my 20 years in Colorado. And I would also recommend the Colorado Pilots Association course, usually held in June and August. A full day of bookwork and an optional day of flying. Typical flight involves 3 airports chosen for the different things they highlight. A "typical" "easy" one way-in/one way out, a canyon partially blind approach with limited go-around options (generally GWS), and the pure high density altitude of Leadville. Some will add Aspen because it is between GWS and Leadville, and from that direction (which pretty much follows the charted Roaring Fork visual) it's blind in the sense you basically need to be configured for landing in all it the slowest light pistons before you see the runway.

it's not a "backcountry" course. It's about knowledge, skill, and risk management flying into and around public use airports where a combination of high density altitude and mountain weather require special knowledge and procedures.

And it's not a panacea. Recall that Sparky Imeson, the author of "The Mountain Flying Bible," required reading IMO, died in a mountain flying accident.
I wish the weather had allowed us to finish the flying that day we tried it. Or that I had been able to afford to try it again. :mad:

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
HAATS puts on a good course too, for that side of aviation.
Probably the best flying course I’ve been to. Learning how to turn an 80% torque required to hover into 10% using 3D winds was cool, but a one wheel landing on a 10,000 foot pinnacle was awesome!

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
So, what is being taught in light singles these days vis a vis nose control in a stall break? Has something changed?
No. It's being taught correctly.

If there are people out there just 'checking a box' they're frakkin' doin it wrong. My students spend a lot of time in attitudes they don't expect to be in.