Retractable skid on tail of 767?

Snow

'Not a new member'
Hey guys, while in a taxiing aircraft I noticed what apeared to be a retractable skid of some kind on the tail of the aircraft, almost as to prevent striking the tail on the runway on rotation, anyone else seen these or know if they are common on other aircraft? Thanks

Actually, lots of aircraft have them.

In fact, the 727 was notorious for striking the tail skid if you rotated too fast during takeoff.

Yea, as Doug pointed out, tail skids or skid plates are pretty common. They really don't protect anything but serve as an indicator of a tail strike. Some are painted with a red or orange paint so as to easily distinguish scrape marks.

BTW, more tail strikes occur during the landing flare than during t/o rotation. Holding it off for a full stall landing like a Cessna is not a good idea. Bad technique and guaranteed tail strike in a big jet.

Ex-B767/757 driver

737-800/900 757-300 as well as the 767-200/400 we operate at Continetal also have tail skids...they operate as a function of landing gear postion.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, more tail strikes occur during the landing flare than during t/o rotation. Holding it off for a full stall landing like a Cessna is not a good idea. Bad technique and guaranteed tail strike in a big jet.

Ex-B767/757 driver

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a relatively flat flare, retard the throttles and bring the nose down after the mains touch.

We're not allowed to hit the thrust reversers until the nosewheel in on the runway because of the clamshell reversers on the -88. Even though the MD-90 has a "sleeve", we're supposed to wait until nosewheel touchdown to go reverse.

We had a 737-300 have a tailstrike on takeoff after a runway incursion. A CAL 737 crossed the active during the DL 737's takeoff roll so the captain rotated way early in an attempt to avoid a deadly situation and successfully got the thing climbing.

And of course, the tailskid was rubbed damned near clean off!

[ QUOTE ]

Ex-B767/757 driver

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice. Remember it well. We strike at 13 degrees on the runway, and I landed with a gust that made me pull back a bit, and got up to nine degrees. I was sweating. I usually land with 3-5 degrees pitch.

Landings in an airliner are much different than a Seminole. But with a few landings you kinda start to get a feel for the difference.

Back