Restricted Class Certificate??

jgheggie

I am looking at a PA-180 locally that has a restricted class certificate. The owner used the airplane for banner towing and other aerial advertising, so my assumption is that's where the restricted class certificate came from.

If I purchase the airplane, would I be given a "standard" class certificate? Or is there a process to receive that? I am aware that a restricted class certificate can only be used for the purpose in which the certificate was granted. Thus, I could only use the airplane to tow banners...

I am looking at a PA-180 locally that has a restricted class certificate. The owner used the airplane for banner towing and other aerial advertising, so my assumption is that's where the restricted class certificate came from.

If I purchase the airplane, would I be given a "standard" class certificate? Or is there a process to receive that? I am aware that a restricted class certificate can only be used for the purpose in which the certificate was granted. Thus, I could only use the airplane to tow banners...

Your best answers will be from from a DAR and FSDO. The sale alone will not transfer it back to normal category, there is some other paperwork involved.

Contact your FSDO. I was inquiring about a V35A with an TIO541 and it was listed under Restricted Class. My FSDO required all the airports I planned on flying to that year. So, I listed essentially every airport in my current state and the surrounding states. They had zero issues with this. Also, currency does not fall into that restriction. You're able to stay current as much as you please.

Edit: There are two reasons I did not purchase this airplane. 1) A good A&P talked me out of it due to engine repair costs. 2) I need a twin (this is the primary reason).

Last edited:
Contact your FSDO. I was inquiring about a V35A with an TIO541 and it was listed under Restricted Class. My FSDO required all the airports I planned on flying to that year. So, I listed essentially every airport in my current state and the surrounding states. They had zero issues with this. Also, currency does not fall into that restriction. You're able to stay current as much as you please.

Edit: There are two reasons I did not purchase this airplane. 1) A good A&P talked me out of it due to engine repair costs. 2) I need a twin (this is the primary reason).
Hi, If you are still looking for twin engine, select from Twin Engine Piston for Sale - Globalair.com to view aircraft designations by model.
These twin engine piston aircraft for sale are available immediately. Most of the aircraft for sale listings include aircraft serial number or aircraft registration, and aircraft price. Viewing a detailed twin engine piston aircraft for sale listing provides additional information about the twin engine piston airplane for sale specifications and aircraft broker.

Back