Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case you haven't put 2+2 together yet, her father is ATL. I'm pretty sure she has a good understanding of what's going on having seen and heard the daily goings on from him.

First, thank you for doing simple math for me. Secondly, so as a dependent, who has first hand knowledge and experience from her father, why would she want to be a controller with the agency he and she so passionately loathes? There are a ton of other options/countries out there that need controllers too. Skyguide or Air Services Australia is looking to hire from what I hear.

"Come back when you have some basis for your positivity about the FAA."

I will say the FAA has been no worse than the Air Force was.:)

HD

First, thank you for doing simple math for me. Secondly, so as a dependent, who has first hand knowledge and experience from her father, why would she want to be a controller with the agency he and she so passionately loathes? There are a ton of other options/countries out there that need controllers too. Skyguide or Air Services Australia is looking to hire from what I hear.

Because nepotism is an easy road.

I'm sure for all the bad stuff you read/hear about, you can find just as much good stuff...

Good luck with that. . .really. . .

Quit putting your head into the sand. Working for the FAA's ridiculous current climate and IWR are not something to be giddy, or happy about. Much less any good to be found.

Because nepotism is an easy road.

Yes because as a controller he has sooo much influence in getting me into the job.

BTW I loved the job since I was six years old (took to ZBW) and I don't see that there's any relevance between how I feel about the FAA's practices and being a controller...This is a job you have to LOVE otherwise you're going to be miserable. Besides once I get my CTO I just might take up that Dubai offer, but my life is currently tied to the FAA (as an applicant, girlfriend of a controller, and daughter of a controller) and that's why I'm not going to work anywhere else currently (ie Skyguide Air Services Australia). Saying this, considering that you seem to know all about why I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.

"Come back when you have some basis for your positivity about the FAA."

I will say the FAA has been no worse than the Air Force was.:)

HD

Dually noted, and for that matter I have worked with the FAA over several years and made some great friends who are controllers...in the FAA. The pendulum swings both ways in a natural cycle between the union and FAA. Right now, it is with the FAA who has gained some control back from the union. But after several years of griping and litigation, it will swing right back toward the union and things will lighten up. Most of us will be there in the transition. I wear neutral colors, never been real big on bright clothes. Don't want to stand out to management just in case I get sent home.

Yes because as a controller he has sooo much influence in getting me into the job.

I'm not taking sides in this, however I do remember your dad mentioning "SHIP" recently. (Seniority Has Its Priveleges). With a 100 on the ATSAT, I'm sure you would have been hired anyway - but I'm sure he's greased the wheels a little at some point.

Just like anywhere though, it's about who you know - not necessarily WHAT you know.

BTW I loved the job since I was six years old (took to ZBW) and I don't see that there's any relevance between how I feel about the FAA's practices and being a controller...This is a job you have to LOVE otherwise you're going to be miserable. Besides once I get my CTO I just might take up that Dubai offer, but my life is currently tied to the FAA (as an applicant, girlfriend of a controller, and daughter of a controller) and that's why I'm not going to work anywhere else currently (ie Skyguide Air Services Australia). Saying this, considering that you seem to know all about why I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.

Much respect there. Afghanistan was awfully tempting. But like you said, I LOVE this job. I love this country (patriotic drama!) I believe in an even keel and will strive to maintain the balance. Because I am unbalanced.

Free tutoring privileges.

Yes because 22 years ago the AT-SAT existed. He had to take a much harder test involving general aviation knowledge as well as the analogy and math section. So never seeing the test, he had about as much idea about what would be on the AT-SAT as the rest of us.

About that seniority has priveleges thing his seniority will only help me meet the people at the facilities where I want to go, in no way does it gaurantee that I will go there and it DEFINITELY didn't help me get selected for the AT-SAT or anything else (as I have been qualified to take the AT-SAT since 2006, when I started applying, and only on 4/8/2008 was I actually allowed to take the test) :banghead:. Really doesn't have that many perks.

my take on all this. . .

I only know one controller personally, he works at ZTL, and he likes his job. :)eek:SHOCKER!!) Is he the only one? To say there are no "positives" about the job, well you're either retarded or just a spoiled brat.

Okay look, WE GET IT, the union/pay stuff is frustrating and discouraging. No one denies that. It's especially difficult for those living in high-cost-of-living areas. But, someone on here said>> "Come back when you have some basis for your positivity about the FAA." To which I reply: what a snotty, ignorant thing to say.

I seriously don't understand why some people get so militant towards anyone that says nice things about the job. No one wants to work with people like you. They want to work with people who have a positive attitude despite the frustrating circumstances.

As far as the guy and his daughter on the board-- what your parents do for a living does not make you an expert on the subject. My dad did the same job my whole life, and still today I know very little about his job. He also never came home and complained about it, even though today I know he's always hated it-- I simply never knew.

my take on all this. . .

I only know one controller personally, he works at ZTL, and he likes his job. :)eek:SHOCKER!!) Is he the only one? To say there are no "positives" about the job, well you're either retarded or just a spoiled brat.

Okay look, WE GET IT, the union/pay stuff is frustrating and discouraging. No one denies that. It's especially difficult for those living in high-cost-of-living areas. But, someone on here said>> "Come back when you have some basis for your positivity about the FAA." To which I reply: what a snotty, ignorant thing to say.

I seriously don't understand why some people get so militant towards anyone that says nice things about the job. No one wants to work with people like you. They want to work with people who have a positive attitude despite the frustrating circumstances.

As far as the guy and his daughter on the board-- what your parents do for a living does not make you an expert on the subject. My dad did the same job my whole life, and still today I know very little about his job. He also never came home and complained about it, even though today I know he's always hated it-- I simply never knew.

Well written, but I think you ended a sentence with a preposition.:sarcasm:
I agree with you completely. Now for dress code; oh wait, that is another thread.

my take on all this. . .

Wonderfully-put.

I feel similarly. My family are all medical professionals, dealing with life and death, stress, low-pay, and you name it, on a daily basis...and I don't think I have ever heard them come home and bitch and whine like many here do. Unlike 99.9% of controllers, they actually saw and dealt with the loss of life, instead of personifying blips on a screen and becoming so far removed from socialization in the process, that they could no longer be reasonably encouraging to other people. They touched humanity - and knew of the repercussions.

That said, I want this job more than almost anything. :laff:

"You should try working for a government agency (one department particularly), where you can't resign if a big bad manager or trainer makes you feel bad, but have to suck it up and go home with your tail between your legs"

:yeahthat: 12 hour ATC days in Iraq, mortars constantly (the tower is used as a reference point, lucky us), no replacement in sight and it's Christmas! FAA wins.
:yeahthat:I get pretty irratated with all the negativity on here...... Granted, ATL, I do appreciate that you are trying to make sure we know what we are getting into here, and you have. But there is a fine line between warning us and then just being pessimistic.

if you want to see a Disgruntled person here you go:

After the better part of a decade in one of the most screwed over jobs in the AF (Flying Crewchief on Heavies) 12-18 hour days,, 96 hour work weeks for months on end (and only getting payed for 40 hours/week no matter what i worked.), getting excited about only having to work 12 hour days. Working outside in anything from 130 degree deserts where if you touched anything on the airplane with an unprotected hand your skin was fused to the metal, and then being told, that we can't give you any gloves becuase we are out of money for them, all the time being fully clothed in Starched up heavy Uniforms, that if they werent in immaculate condition we where getting written up, which could do anything from affect our next promotion to cut our pay check, lead to extra duties, or even (in a worst case scenario) lead to being discharged for "Failure to comply with military Standards" which meant a less than honorable discharge which means, no federal benifits ever, and McDonalds wont even hire me. Then going to Alaska or Iceland in January and being told that you are not authorized to get the Extreme cold weather parka, but see finance and personnel pukes walking form their cars to their nicely heated offices in one. (I know someone is thinking it so I will head it off right now: We are NOT Allowed to wear ANYTHING that was not issued to us, so no, I couldn't just go buy my own) Working outside in the Rain, the snow, blizzards, hell flying towards a hurrican while everyone else is getting out of dodge. 6-12 month deployements. And when you get to a location, there is no beds or anywhere to sleep, so you sleep in whatever plane is not flying at the time only to be woken up 6 times a night to move airplanes as one gets ready to fly and others land. If you do have tents or places to sleep, they always manage to plae them at the approace, departure end of the runway, so every few minutes you have a B1, or a F-15, or a german F-4 taking off right over your head..... Get the picture? Averaging 200-250 days out of the year deployed for all of my career. Haven't even been in the same country as my family for christmas of Thanksgiving, or even the fourth of july for the past 8 years, all while getting payed half as much as ATC. Getting home on a friday at 5 pm from a 3 month trip and being told to "go home un-pack, see your family, do your laundry and re-pack; you have another trip leaving on monday at 0400." Finally going home at 0800 after working mids, getting called back in at 0930 becuase they need me to go to such and such place. Getting called in from working on one of the planes and told to go home and pack, be back in an hour, you have a mission that you need to be on. Living for 2 week stints in an underground bunker, only a few minutes from home, but not being able to leave or have visitors the entire time, just waiting for an alarm to go off. Missing Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries...... everything. Not because I had to work and would be getting off late, but becuase I was in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kyrgastan, turkey, Oman, Diego Garcia, Qutar, UAE, etc.....the list goes on and on....

Being told that anyone that has over 100 days a year deployed will be getting extra pay..... ohh wait, we got you a waiver so we can keep sending your ass all over gods green earth with out having to pay you.

Being told to change how you are doing things on a weekly, or monthly basis, anytime anyone that had a higher rank than me came along, they had a "better" way to do it.... Being held accountable for a mistake you did months ago, or a mistake you trainee did months ago, even though you were in Turkey when he made the mistake and he was at home station. There was a ZERO tolerance for mistakes in my job too, we had people checking peoples work who were checking other peoples work. The worst part about it, is that our mistakes were not immediately noticable, we had to got home and stew, sometimes only until you could check it the next day, the entire night just hoping nothing went wrong, but if the plane left on a mission, then you had to deal with the question/doubt for days, weeks, or months even.....

Being told that you get 30 days paid vacation a year, and every year you have to get a wavier to sell 30 days back to the government because you were not able to use it and you aren't allowed to keep more that 60 days.

you get the point?.... I can easily keep going, but I think I made my point, the FAA is not the worst thing to happen to a person. In fact, compared to what I came from, it is sounding pretty good. At least I get to go home to my own bed everyday, get payed extra for working overtime and payed extra for working holidays. Sure, I may have to deal with a little political BS, but I guarantee it isn't anything compared to what I have been dealing with for the last 9 years....

The FAA is looking like an improvement to what I am used to....

The kicker to it all, no matter how bad it got, no matter how pissed off I got, I couldn't just say "I have had enough, Peace, I am out". Never had a union to run to, the closest thing to it was a Military Defense lawyer to review your "Options". The only consolation that I ever got was, "suck it up, it was your choice to join the military, now do your job."
The Funny thing is, I Loved my job, it was probably one of the best things I ever did in my life. But it just wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

:yeahthat:I get pretty irratated with all the negativity on here...... Granted, ATL, I do appreciate that you are trying to make sure we know what we are getting into here, and you have. But there is a fine line between warning us and then just being pessimistic.

After the better part of a decade in one of the most screwed over jobs in the AF (Flying Crewchief on Heavies) 12-18 hour days,, 96 hour work weeks for months on end (and only getting payed for 40 hours/week no matter what i worked.), getting excited about only having to work 12 hour days. Working outside in anything from 130 degree deserts where if you touched anything on the airplane with an unprotected hand your skin was fused to the metal, and then being told, that we can't give you any gloves becuase we are out of money for them. Then going to Alaska or Iceland in January and being told that you are not authorized to get the Extreme cold weather parka, but see finance and personnel pukes walking form their cars to their nicely heated offices in one. Working outside in the Rain, the snow, blizzards, hell flying towards a hurrican while everyone else is getting out of dodge. 6-12 month deployements. And when you get to a location, there is no beds or anywhere to sleep, so you sleep in whatever plane is not flying at the time only to be woken up 6 times a night to move airplanes as one gets ready to fly and others land. If you do have tents or places to sleep, they always manage to plae them at the approace, departure end of the runway, so every few minutes you have a B1, or a F-15, or a german F-4 taking off right over your head..... Get the picture? Averaging 200-250 days out of the year deployed for all of my career. Haven't even been in the same country as my family for christmas of Thanksgiving, or even the fourth of july for the past 8 years, all while getting payed half as much as ATC. Getting home on a friday at 5 pm from a 3 month trip and being told to "go home un-pack, see your family, do your laundry and re-pack; you have another trip leaving on monday at 0400." Finally going home at 0800 after working mids, getting called back in at 0930 becuase they need me to go to such and such place. Getting called in from working on one of the planes and told to go home and pack, be back in an hour, you have a mission that you need to be on. Living for 2 week stints in an underground bunker, only a few minutes from home, but not being able to leave or have visitors the entire time, just waiting for an alarm to go off. Missing Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries...... everything. Not because I had to work and would be getting off late, but becuase I was in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kyrgastan, turkey, Oman, Diego Garcia, Qutar, UAE, etc.....the list goes on and on....

Being told that anyone that has over 100 days a year deployed will be getting extra pay..... ohh wait, we got you a waiver so we can keep sending your ass all over gods green earth with out having to pay you.

Being told to change how you are doing things on a weekly, or monthly basis, anytime anyone that had a higher rank than me came along, they had a "better" way to do it.... Being held accountable for a mistake you did months ago, or a mistake you trainee did months ago, even though you were in Turkey when he made the mistake and he was at home station. There was a ZERO tolerance for mistakes in my job too, we had people checking peoples work who were checking other peoples work. The worst part about it, is that our mistakes were not immediately noticable, we had to got home and stew, sometimes only until you could check it the next day, the entire night just hoping nothing went wrong, but if the plane left on a mission, then you had to deal with the question/doubt for days, weeks, or months even.....

Being told that you get 30 days paid vacation a year, and every year you have to get a wavier to sell 30 days back to the government because you were not able to use it and you aren't allowed to keep more that 60 days.

you get the point?.... I can easily keep going, but I think I made my point, the FAA is not the worst thing to happen to a person. In fact, compared to what I came from, it is sounding pretty good. At least I get to go home to my own bed everyday, get payed extra for working overtime and payed extra for working holidays. Sure, I may have to deal with a little political BS, but I guarantee it isn't anything compared to what I have been dealing with for the last 9 years....

The kicker to it all, no matter how bad it got, no matter how pissed off I got, I couldn't just say "I have had enough, Peace, I am out". Never had a union to run to, the closest thing to it was a Military Defense lawyer to review your "Options". The only consolation that I ever got was, "suck it up, it was your choice to join the military, now do your job."
The Funny thing is, I Loved my job, it was probably one of the best things I ever did in my life. But it just wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Wonderfully-put.

I feel similarly. My family are all medical professionals, dealing with life and death, stress, low-pay, and you name it, on a daily basis...and I don't think I have ever heard them come home and bitch and whine like many here do. Unlike 99.9% of controllers, they actually saw and dealt with the loss of life, instead of personifying blips on a screen and becoming so far removed from socialization in the process, that they could no longer be reasonably encouraging to other people. They touched humanity - and knew of the repercussions.

That said, I want this job more than almost anything. :laff:

:yeahthat:

Ok, glad to see I'm not the only one who is getting sick of all the negativity on here...

Basically. I understand giving your insight for future trainees when you can, but sometimes it seems like some of these people read through threads that don't even need their input so that they can say something negative about the job. To each his own though...if your way of venting is sitting on an ATC forum all day telling everyone not to take the job you have, then ok. I guess it's better than slapping your kids around when you get home lol

After the better part of a decade in one of the most screwed over jobs in the AF (Flying Crewchief on Heavies) 12-18 hour days,, 96 hour work weeks for months on end (and only getting payed for 40 hours/week no matter what i worked.), getting excited about only having to work 12 hour days. Working outside in anything from 130 degree deserts where if you touched anything on the airplane with an unprotected hand your skin was fused to the metal, and then being told, that we can't give you any gloves becuase we are out of money for them, all the time being fully clothed in Starched up heavy Uniforms, that if they werent in immaculate condition we where getting written up, which could do anything from affect our next promotion to cut our pay check, lead to extra duties, or even (in a worst case scenario) lead to being discharged for "Failure to comply with military Standards" which meant a less than honorable discharge which means, no federal benifits ever, and McDonalds wont even hire me. Then going to Alaska or Iceland in January and being told that you are not authorized to get the Extreme cold weather parka, but see finance and personnel pukes walking form their cars to their nicely heated offices in one. (I know someone is thinking it so I will head it off right now: We are NOT Allowed to wear ANYTHING that was not issued to us, so no, I couldn't just go buy my own) Working outside in the Rain, the snow, blizzards, hell flying towards a hurrican while everyone else is getting out of dodge. 6-12 month deployements. And when you get to a location, there is no beds or anywhere to sleep, so you sleep in whatever plane is not flying at the time only to be woken up 6 times a night to move airplanes as one gets ready to fly and others land. If you do have tents or places to sleep, they always manage to plae them at the approace, departure end of the runway, so every few minutes you have a B1, or a F-15, or a german F-4 taking off right over your head..... Get the picture? Averaging 200-250 days out of the year deployed for all of my career. Haven't even been in the same country as my family for christmas of Thanksgiving, or even the fourth of july for the past 8 years, all while getting payed half as much as ATC. Getting home on a friday at 5 pm from a 3 month trip and being told to "go home un-pack, see your family, do your laundry and re-pack; you have another trip leaving on monday at 0400." Finally going home at 0800 after working mids, getting called back in at 0930 becuase they need me to go to such and such place. Getting called in from working on one of the planes and told to go home and pack, be back in an hour, you have a mission that you need to be on. Living for 2 week stints in an underground bunker, only a few minutes from home, but not being able to leave or have visitors the entire time, just waiting for an alarm to go off. Missing Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries...... everything. Not because I had to work and would be getting off late, but becuase I was in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kyrgastan, turkey, Oman, Diego Garcia, Qutar, UAE, etc.....the list goes on and on....

Dang dude, you should have a been a controller. I was one of those guys waving to you on the flight line from the tower catwalk with the hot cup of coffee in my gloved hand. But then again, the glove was so I didn't burn my hand, or was it cold? I don't remember. You will love this job. The new GI Bill was approved yesterday. All I got to say is, holy moly.

I'm just happy to be here and make it this far. I'll bust my a$$ at the academy, bust my ass at my facility training, and I'll continue to bust a$$ after that wearing a wet suit and fins into the office or in MOPP4 if that's what they want. Less for me to worry about each morning.

Seems to me some people on here worry too much about others' failures, attitudes, and dress-codes.

Go here for some alternatives that maybe will suit your needs better:

www.careerbuilder.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back