Reregulate the industry?

Where's the option to actually deregulate it?

That would be an even bigger disaster than what we're already living with. What will it take for you laissez faire capitalists to realize that it just doesn't work? Face it, Ayn Rand was wrong! Time to embrace common sense regulation and government oversight.

We're just like you hard-line commies. We don't think it's ever really been tried.

Commie? I'm a capitalist, my friend, just not a capitalist in the same vein as Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman. There is a happy middle ground where capitalism is allowed to work while under the oversight and regulation of a government. That is where we need to be heading, not towards this laissez faire dystopian dream of Bush and McCain.

"Bush's Laissez-Faire Dream"? Uh. Are we talking about the same guy who just nationalized the largest insurance company in the world?

"Bush's Laissez-Faire Dream"? Uh. Are we talking about the same guy who just nationalized the largest insurance company in the world?

Yep, same guy. His failed laissez faire policies over the past 8 years have backed him into a corner and forced him to actually act responsibly for once. Had his ridiculous anti-regulation policies not been in place all these years, then this problem wouldn't be confronting us. If any industry needs more oversight, it's the lending industry.

Oh jeez..... :eek:

Yet another thread headed into this black hole...........

Back on the original topic please!!?? I'm interested in hearing some educated argument on re-regulation.

While I don't like government intervention in private business, I'm open to better understanding why and how this could be a good move for the industry.

It WAS a good move.

All I have to do personally is look at when the industry WAS regulated.

Granted, we didn't have regionals willing to claw over each other for a little piece of the pie. . .but. . .

Wages were generous, companies made a profit, and we kept our good customers.

Seems like a great damn idea in my book, let's bring it back. If that means industry downsizing, and I'm out on the street for a while while the industry gets rid of this chronic flu and that when I return it'll be a much better environment, I welcome it.

I think that reregulating the airline industry would basically turn them into utilities. Utilities are private companies with the government dictating many aspects of how they run their business, including pricing.

I think that the air transport system in the United States is so crucial it should be treated like another utility.

Besides, know what that would do for everyone?

Shareholders would make money!

Didn't you get the memo, Tony? Only executives are allowed to make money in America nowadays. Shareholders, employees, and taxpayers are all screwed.

Back