"Report 4 mile left base" ?

PilotChip

Air Traffic Controller
POSTED BY danpilot775pd

Where does a controller want you to report when they state "n123 enter left base report 4 miles". Is this referring to 4 miles from your present position to the runway (2 miles on base and 2 on final), or to enter a left base to a point where you are on a two mile final?

Thx

Re: "Report 4 mile left base" ?

When instructed to "Enter left base, report 4 miles" or something similar...the pilot is (normally) expected to report established on the left base, AND at a point 4 miles from the approach end of the runway, or the like.

There may be slight variations to this depending on the individual controller's expectations.

I've always taken it as establish yourself on left base and report when 4 miles laterally from the airport. They do not care whether you plan on flying a 2 mile base and 2 mile final or 3-3/4 mile base and 1/4 mile final, they only want to know when you are 4 out. This was a common instruction and I always took it as such and never had any questions. I visited the controllers all the time and always meant to confirm but always forgot by the time I made it to the top.

Or...next time they ask you to report 4 mile left base, just say what do you mean?

Or say " sir, could you please explain to my student here exactly what you want him to do.

Just trying to get rid of that massage of not posting in over a month.

HS

I'd assume they want me to enter on a left base, and report 4DME from the field.

I visited a tower about a month ago and got an answer.

They want you to set up for a normal base to final turn, but report four miles out on the base leg. In other words, you are reporting four miles before you turn final.

So basically 4 miles from the extended centerline of the runway? Thats what I always thought was the case

I interpret it as "call me when you're 4 miles from the airport, on a left base"

So basically 4 miles from the extended centerline of the runway? Thats what I always thought was the case

I like this answer too. :nana2:

4 miles directly out from the centerline while you're established on the base.

I dont normally ask pilots to report this. But I do use to to give traffic "xxxx position and hold, traffic 3 mile left base xxxx". I use it to indicate that the traffic in on a base 3 miles from the runway. A can say also the controllers dont expect too much from pilot reports. Sure, its great if you can actually be 3 miles when you say you are but I dont expect too much, from what i see. Recently I told a netjets citation that traffic to follow was a cessna 1 mile right base. He come back and says hes on a 1 mile right base in a somewhat upset voice because he thought the traffic was right next to him. The problem was he was 5 mile base. See this all the time and thats why I dont really expect too much from the pilots when it comes to position reports.

As a controller I would tell a pilot to enter left base runway xx report 4 mile final. This way there is no question as to where I wanted them to report. The pilot would enter the left base, as to be turning a 4 mile final. At some airports, the ARP is closer or farther from the runway threshold. When you mention "4 mile final" this is from the runway threshold.

As a controller I would tell a pilot to enter left base runway xx report 4 mile final. This way there is no question as to where I wanted them to report. The pilot would enter the left base, as to be turning a 4 mile final. At some airports, the ARP is closer or farther from the runway threshold. When you mention "4 mile final" this is from the runway threshold.

From a pilot's perspective, this sounds like a much less ambiguous instruction. And I might actually be able to guesstimate a 4 mile final a whole lot better than a 4 mile left base (whatever that's supposed to mean).

Back