Renting Restaurant Space & HEY TONY!

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
are you still offering to work on the 9FI night for us (Friday night?)? so far, my proposals are coming in for October 21-23.. must be something going on the other weekends that's keeping the rate higher or something...dunno!

Anyone know anything about renting out a restaurant for a "meeting"? Am thinking we might hold the official networking event at a meeting room in a restaurant as it might save us some $$.

Re: Renting Restaurant Space & HEY TONY!

The fact remains that the most fun you can have will always be in an irish pub.
rawk.gif

Sure, Kristie. Let me know when you want to reserve the upstairs and I'll call about it. Or we can just walk in and I'll see if I can get them to put us in the upstairs again. Supposedly that's reserved for VIPs but you saw how strict they were last time.

Yup, makes sense! Let me know what day and time and how many, and I'll call and reserve it.

Do we want to have a preset menu or will we just order from the menu?

Should I request the same waitress as last time? Of course, in the restaurant industry, people move on very quickly so she may not be there but if you want, I can.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I request the same waitress as last time? Of course, in the restaurant industry, people move on very quickly so she may not be there but if you want, I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be Kristie's request? Or would that be Tony's request? Methinks the latter!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Would that be Kristie's request? Or would that be Tony's request? Methinks the latter!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just here to help the team in whatever way I can. It's not about Tony, it's all about the team. The team comes first and whatever I can do to help is what I'll do.
grin.gif

this is just gonna be a really "simple" gathering... we're just going to reserve the meeting space as an "introduction time"... JC is not going to be able to afford to have a preset menu or pay people's $$ to get in - unless we start charging for Network JC this year - I just don't seeing that happening. Last year was a lucky break with paying a certain $$ amount to get everyone in and JC taking the charge.

If 9FI want $$ to rent the space above, then let me know what that is and we'll see what we can do, but that's all i'm planning on doing with Friday night's festivities (most of JC's $$ have to be saved for the main event).

Right now, It looks like October 21-23 is going to be the best date as that's what most of my proposals are coming back with but i'm not sure we're even going to offer a selection of pre-reserved rooms considering how it didn't work out all that well (for JC's pocketbook) last year and we didn't get many votes on this year's poll to give me a "good feeling" about more people attending. I think it depends on if we're able to acquire a speaker and how the event will be scheduled out, which would hopefully bring out more people to rent rooms so JC's function costs aren't so high. It's been really interesting trying to look at costs this year - sometimes I get the feeling we should move it to Reno or Laughlin! hahaha

let's plan on 9FI "intro time" for October 21 and see what they say.

last year, i knew how many to be expecting the day of show and even then, about 10 people didn't show up, so I'll have absolutely NO idea how many will be attending until maybe the week before. I'd love to get a full count at least a month before, but with pilot schedules - it just doesn't happen that way.

As far as staffing goes, I think we'll just let them play it by ear, but if you want, do comment on providing some *eye candy* waiters/sses. haha

I think I learned from last year that "definitely maybe' means 'absolutely not'!
smile.gif

Okay, I'll call 'em. Off the top of my head, we had about what, 50 people actually show? I'll tell 'em we're looking at about 50 and we'd like the upstairs area, and we'll be doing a pay as we go deal.

We're so far out they'll probably say fine!

And Doug, after doing the ski trip, uh, yeah. Definitely maybe means probably not! Heck, sometimes, even I'm in means no.

grin.gif

Not picking on anyone, just saying.

yup, that's why most conferences are pretty expensive to attend. If you pay that much money, your not going to waste it by not going now are you? whereas, we hold a virtually free event and we get more than we asked for in "dunno if i'll make it now" to no shows...

I betcha that's why conferences charge so much. All the work and someone should be getting paid! hahahaha hmmmm maybe we should be charging...the master and I will have to talk it over some more, me thinks.

let me know what they say tony..we're willing to pay a certain fee for rental usage like we did last year (I figure they'll probably charge that anyways).

I think turning Network JC into a "conference" of sorts will get rid of the friendly feel of it. It will start the long route into becoming an AirInc fair.

No matter how many show up, I think it's better left as an opportunity for us all to go somewhere and meet up, eat, drink, be merry, do activities and generally just talk. That's networking, because now these people are your friends, not just contacts. That means a whole lot more.

On another message forum I post on, they have people send in a $40 deposit to secure their spot at their meet up thing, and when people are checking in to get their nametags and whatnot, they get their money back. That way, the meet up stays free for those who are attending, it cuts down on the number of 'noshows' and those who do no show help to offset the cost of the room.

maybe an idea to think about...

[ QUOTE ]
I think turning Network JC into a "conference" of sorts will get rid of the friendly feel of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it would make it sooo easy for us contractors to write it off!!!
grin.gif

That's right!! everyone would be able to write it off on your taxes as a "business trip".

good idea Em, I'll mull that over with DT.

I'm just afraid of deposits and such.

I think if we plan early, figure out how many people are actually going to show up, we'll have a better idea of what to plan for.

I think 9FI is a must, as Szluka kind of broke the mold with that -- Fuzzy memories of some Irish band talking about some "Vegas Rock Stars" and all that in front of an audience of hundreds and everyone raising a drink to the "Jetcareers Vegas Rock Stars" Damn, great memories.

Perhaps if we continually re-inforce that having a tighter number on how many people are actually going to show up makes for a better event and how many people are going to be there that are actually in positions to help you might help 'sell the event', if you know what I mean.

The last thing I want to do is throw a 'Kit Darby'-style event. However, I'm working on getting some of my 'contacts' out to the event to interface with fresh people who would do a good job as new hires at their respective operations.

There's going to be people that attendees NEED to meet, but I want to keep it natural and 'organic' if that makes sense. I'd rather an attendee show someone that they're going to be a riot on a four-day trip rather than playing the "I'm a team player! I work well with others!" bullsh*t that we all claim on formal interviews.

It'll be a great time by default. It'll be a BETTER time if we can get people off their asses this year and commit to the event.

If you guys have input or ideas, throw 'em at us. So far, we're the only group on the internet doing something like this on an annual basis.

Man, I can almost remember finding Kelly on the Vegas strip reeking of beer and hot dog nitrate at 5am a few minutes before Max fell asleep!
smile.gif
Memories memories! Any the the Lloyd dance, and the freeking amazing show by Bumblebee doing "Satchmo"? Holy friggen cow!

Noooo.. that was "mac the knife" hon! geez, get it right!! hahaha

oh btw.. i think hitting a karaoke club is also going to have to be done.. but this time, we're going to find the location ahead of time!

[ QUOTE ]
oh btw.. i think hitting a karaoke club is also going to have to be done.. but this time, we're going to find the location ahead of time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, cus when I called to make sure we were still going to the Karaoke Club, everyone said it was cancelled, bad club or something.
frown.gif
Then I log on while waiting for my plane to leave and I see that it didn't cancelled, but changed. Looked like one heII of a time. That's what I get for leaving the party in Lloyds room to go get something to eat.

But he was singing it as "Satchmo" babe!

Remember, that was the point that I realized that I was amongst 'legends' and unworthy of the karaoke microphone!
smile.gif

Back