Removal of Inoperative Equipment - Commercial Checkride Oral

Gambinja

Hi Everybody,

First time posting a thread on here. I'm currently studying for my Commercial Oral Exam and was looking for some help on something...it has to do with removal of inoperative equipment.

First off...

It is my understanding that the hierarchy of deferring inoperative equipment is as follows:

- If the a/c has an approved MEL, follow the MEL
- 91.213 - Is the piece of equipment required for type certification? (Look at Type Certificate Data Sheet or the Equipment List in the official POH)
- Is the piece of inoperative equipment required by Regulations? (91.205, 91.207)
- Is the piece of inoperative equipment required by any AD's?
- And finally, is the piece of inoperative equipment deemed necessary for safe flight by the PIC?

Any equipment found not to be operating on the aircraft, from my understanding, regardless of whether or not it is a required piece of equipment, needs to be removed, or deactivated and placarded as inoperative before the a/c can be legal to fly.

It is also from my understanding that if any piece of equipment needs to be removed, the weight and balance needs to be amended and signed off by maintenance

My question is... What paperwork is done by maintenance in regards to the W+B/? Do they recalculate the entire thing and sign it off themselves? It is my understanding that in order to be legal to fly, the official Weight and Balance needs to be signed by an FAA representative.

What goes on when the weight and balance needs to be amended due to removal of equipment?

Loaded question(s)...my apologies. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Removal of Inoperative Equipment - Commercial Checkride

Welcome Gambinja!

If you look under the equipment list in the POH, you'd see that everything listed has the weights, arms, and moments listed also I believe. It makes it pretty easy for the maintenance guys to recalculate the W&B.

Oh and if I remember correctly, it would usually say such and such equipment removed on the weight and balance sheet.

A great reference that even has a flow chart included for how to handle an inop piece of equipment is AC 91-67.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...13C094A06437C5FA862569D900744D86?OpenDocument

Along with the flowchart being a great reference, your examiner will most likely like to see you reference it if you have it. After all, the oral is (within reason) an open book exam and the FAA loves to see you reference thier materials! :p

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

I 2nd using the AC. In fact, I suggest you print a copy of that flow chart for you to review and share with the other students. Ask yourself "what if" questions to further develop your understanding.

"Traffic ahead, 1 o'clock, 4 miles, is a blimp...report it in sight"

ClearedToThe, your tag line reminds me of a time I was inbound and center handed me to tower. Tower advises me of the big white MetCo blimp 12 o'clock, 5 miles. I report in sight. Just after that a regional comes on freq and tower advises the blimp to them. They report negative contact. Then again they report negative contact, then again.... Tower had to provide vectors to clear the blimp! I thought it a hoot they couldn't find the blimp at their 12 o'clock in CAVU. Then again, I wasn't scooting along at 200 kts so what do I know.

Thank you for all your help guys. The AC was very helpful, and I'll definitely use that flow chart and give "what if" scenarios to further my understanding.

Back