Regional to Regional as FO??? Comments?

brewpilot

This thought has crossed my mind and many others I have talked to. Wanting to go to a different regional for better pay, better aircraft(Faster!), etc... Anyone out there thought about it or have done it? I would love to go to Republic or Compass, the Emb 170 definetly!! catches my attention! Any comments, experiences would be very appriciated. Thanks

Looks like a case of SJS!!

Lots of people have done it. I'd say 75% of my initial class at CHQ were from other airlines. Don't count on RAH hiring anytime soon though. Compass is hiring I think.

99.999999% of lateral moves DO NOT work.

If you want better pay at the place you are at, remember, there is a vote for ALPA coming up from November 24th to December 17th!

If you want better pay at the place you are at, remember, there is a vote for ALPA coming up from November 24th to December 17th!
But that won't let him go fassssssssssssssssst.:banghead:

Last year during "the boom" many Colgan guys went over to Republic to fly the E170, I think they were putting previous 121 guys on the E170.If the industry had stayed the way it was, it would have been a good move.

I was talking to a guy in IAD who was with Chautauqua now and had made the move from Colgan Beech. He is still an FO and all I could think was "you would have been captain by now..."

However many other people have pretty good reasons for doing it. The commute, family life, QOL. But if its pure SJS, thats not a good reason.

Hate to be the one to break it to you. People get on the 170 and the 190's and say "ohh God another small one".

Hate to be the one to break it to you. People get on the 170 and the 190's and say "ohh God another small one".

But, But.... The engines are under the wing!!!

I do enjoy seeing the Airways E190 out at IAD and then referring to it as "The RJ.." Haha.

Last year during "the boom" many Colgan guys went over to Republic to fly the E170, I think they were putting previous 121 guys on the E170.If the industry had stayed the way it was, it would have been a good move.

I was talking to a guy in IAD who was with Chautauqua now and had made the move from Colgan Beech. He is still an FO and all I could think was "you would have been captain by now..."

However many other people have pretty good reasons for doing it. The commute, family life, QOL. But if its pure SJS, thats not a good reason.
Unfortunately Rob, it also could have meant he made it to the left seat of the beech, got in some sort of trouble, and can never fly again because he couldn't afford his own lawyer to fight CJC and the fed's.

I talk to guys who made a lateral move and, so far, they have universally been happy (moving from Colgan). There is a furloughee here (from CJC that went to republic) that said he could only wish he still had his old Colgan job, no idea if he was serious.

This thought has crossed my mind and many others I have talked to. Wanting to go to a different regional for better pay, better aircraft(Faster!), etc... Anyone out there thought about it or have done it? I would love to go to Republic or Compass, the Emb 170 definetly!! catches my attention! Any comments, experiences would be very appriciated. Thanks

From experience, it's a big NO from lateraling to a different regional. Overall You won't gain anything except for maybe a better airplane, and after a few months that airplane will get old as well. All you have done is set yourself back with all that seniority, it won't matter to you now since you may be junior and could care less about you SN but after a year or so you're going to wish you would have had a year seniority instead whatever you'd have had at the new regional, maybe still on reserve...

That being said, if QOL is going to be better because you would be living in base I would do it. Also if your ultimate goal is to take advantage of the flowthrough deal compass has with NW/DL, I would do it. But that's a big commitment since you're essentially limiting your career to only one avenue.

Unfortunately Rob, it also could have meant he made it to the left seat of the beech, got in some sort of trouble, and can never fly again because he couldn't afford his own lawyer to fight CJC and the fed's.

Well you can make up scenarios all day long I guess.

But hopefully in a few months this scenario will be non-existent for Colgan pilots.

Also if your ultimate goal is to take advantage of the flowthrough deal compass has with NW/DL, I would do it.

Where did you do your lateral moves from?

Also flow through agreements aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Well you can make up scenarios all day long I guess.

But hopefully in a few months this scenario will be non-existent for Colgan pilots.
Well the scenario isn't made up. See west VA and a cargo door that wasn't closed by a ramp agent.

You are correct. The most important fact is that in a couple months Colgan will have representation on property. (Hoping I'm not jinxing anything.)

Well the scenario isn't made up. See west VA and a cargo door that wasn't closed by a ramp agent.

You are correct. The most important fact is that in a couple months Colgan will have representation on property. (Hoping I'm not jinxing anything.)

Ahhhhh yes. I do remember that now. I think I was a scheduler at the time actually.

What happened to the crew?!?

Ahhhhh yes. I do remember that now. I think I was a scheduler at the time actually.

What happened to the crew?!?
I don't know anything about the FO

Heard the captain had to hire a lawyer, supena (spelling) the video showing what happened and ended up keeping his job. Apparently CJC knew about the video and threw the guy to the wolves, he gave the company like 9 years, thats going to be uncomfortable at the company picnic.

I think the FO left for RAH after doing a serious carpet dance as well with the company.

Pretty sure both did not vote for representation last time around!

Don't really want to argue, but this is *not* the case.

I was one of about 25 FO's in my new-hire class here who came from other 121 operations.

4 of us were from Eagle. The QOL for all of us is much better than at Eagle. We all had the chance to upgrade here within a year and a half (one took it at 8mos after 6yrs of being an FO at Eagle). We had some from Mesa...they're doing better, as are the ones from TSA. I wonder how happy the multitude of guys here who left Colgan for greener pastures are.

If you go to your first choice of regional, your statement may hold true, but there are definitely reasons to switch regionals--especially when it appears we may all be here for a while.

Lateral moves? I don't see anything wrong with them, if made for the right reasons, despite what the majority crowd might believe.

I was an FO on the 1900 at Colgan. Had a blast flying the Beech, but couldn't tolerate the company and the schedules. Commutting was a bitch. I either had to park at PHL and catch a flight to ALB, ($120 in parking for the week) or drive 3 1/2 hours to Albany. Because Colgan doesn't care or even try to make commutting easy, they wouldn't even pay for a parking pass at PHL or reimburse me. I was spending more money between driving/fuel/parking/crash pad/food etc. than I was making.

Most companies will give you a parking pass for one airport. It can either be at your base or an airport that you commute from. Colgan only gives you parking at your base. Whoopitidty doo.

I decided to look for a company that had a base close to home, a good commutter clause and a system where its actually easy to commute to work. I ended up getting hired at RAH, which was my first choice. I couldn't care less about what aircraft I'm flying, just put money in my pocket, good QOL and the opportunity to advance in the future. I ended up on the 170 and based at home. I nearly doubled my pay with the reduced expenses (I even packed a cooler for my trips). I was flying my tail off, 80-90hrs per month. It was easy to pick up open time, overtime etc. because I lived 30 mins. from the airport. Sitting reserve was easy as cake, right on my living room couch! The best part was after a long 4-day trip, once we landed I was home having dinner with my wife in less than an hour. You can't beat that. That is the QOL I'm talking about.

Some would say that because I'm furloughed now that it was a bad decision. I disagree. It was still a smart move to come to RAH from Colgan. If I stayed at Colgan, I might have upgraded by now, but other than the title, I'd still be miserable. Where are Regional Captains going right now? They're going nowhere. Sure, they're building time, but they're going nowhere. Majors aren't hiring, and I suspect they won't be for awhile. The regional's will pick up again before the Majors do.

I should be recalled back to work by the beginning of the year and when things swing around, I'll upgrade in a few years. I'm in no rush to get to the grave my friend. I'm just looking to have a job I enjoy and make decent money. Someday maybe I'll make it to a major, but my concern is the next 3-5yrs. Upgrading to the left seat and getting experience.

All depends on why you want to make a lateral move. For me, going to Republic was a no brainer. I can't even describe how much better this company is to work for and how they treat their employees. It's a company that fits me better and I enjoy(ed) working for them and will enjoy getting my recall letter soon. :)

Back