Regional Airlines in the next few years…

rogerthatbravo

How can the regionals compete with a company like ATI

When they start at 67,500/yr (new hires could start with no experience lol)in a cheap COL in Ohio

Im not convinced there will be regionals in a few years. The rising pilot costs and shortage might cause the flying to be moved in house or significantly reduced.

The regionals that do make it through can compete on QOL. The big 4 major pax airlines have all hired hundreds of mostly under age 40 dispatchers the past 5 years. Fedex and UPS have also hired a decent amount too. For all the majors overall, its in the neighborhood of around 50% of their lists. Dispatchers rarely quit, get fired, or promoted at the majors. This means those getting hired from now on will have a long road for decades in terms of schedule and QOL items. If you arent at a major now, you have already pretty much lost the seniority battle for the next 30 years.

LCCs and Supplementals are career destinations. As pay rises at places like Jetblue and Atlas, I suspect those will become more like the majors as this hiring wave dries up. Low attrition, long and stagnant seniority lists.

Regionals can offer a quicker path to the better QOL that higher seniority offers.

How can the regionals compete with a company like ATI

When they start at 67,500/yr (new hires could start with no experience lol)in a cheap COL in Ohio
ATI is not a regional, it's a cargo carrier. Different ballgame. Different goals than regionals.
lol I get that..Jus saying why apply to a regional, when you have a real chance of making 67k and get heavy jet international (ETOPS)
(especially if your new)

Do the scumbag nonsked supplemental route - if I hadn't, I wouldn't be where I am (and about to top out on our 12 yr pay scale).

lol I get that..Jus saying why apply to a regional, when you have a real chance of making 67k and get heavy jet international (ETOPS)
(especially if your new)
Most get caught up in the flashy "flight bennies" thing and go for the regionals. I'm pretty sure that's the big reason.

As full as my last 5-6 trips have been, the only thing that got me aboard was my revenue ticket; except JSing via CASS, flight bennies aren't what they used to be...

Back