Recording Cockpit Audio

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
How would I go about recording cockpit audio onto a digital voice recorder that has a microphone jack? Would I just need to purchase an adapter that connects the microphone jack on the recorder to the audio-out jack from the aircraft's intercom? Anyone ever done this? Thanks!

Yeah, should work just fine. If you're recorder has a XLR input you may need something like a direct box or something to match the impeadences. If it's just a 1/8" or 1/4" input just your regular Radio Shack adapter cable should work fine. It's definitely worth taking your setup out to an airplane and testing it out first before flight. Just make sure the input gain is set in such a way to prevent clipping on the recorder.

How would I go about recording cockpit audio onto a digital voice recorder that has a microphone jack? Would I just need to purchase an adapter that connects the microphone jack on the recorder to the audio-out jack from the aircraft's intercom? Anyone ever done this? Thanks!

I used to use an old analog recorder which worked fine, but it was complicated to get it onto the PC. I bought a digital recorder, which never worked well, very distorted. Discussing it with audio buffs suggested it wasn't an impedance problem, but a gain problem. I put an inline resistor in the cord, which helped, but transmissions were still screwed up. I pretty much gave up on it. If you get yours to work, please post the model of digital recorder that you're using.

Just get a lavier (small mic) that plugs into your recorder. Slip the mic into a headset and record the audio. I have done it several times when I was making videos for a company. Worked well.

Just get a lavier (small mic) that plugs into your recorder. Slip the mic into a headset and record the audio. I have done it several times when I was making videos for a company. Worked well.

Thanks for all the input guys - I'll try this last trick first just to see how it works. If it doesn't pan out, then I'll pick up an adapter from the local Radio Shack.

Thanks again!

I do have a friend who has done this with pretty good success. Might be the easiest option. I do know that us audio type folks do tend to overcomplicate things, or is that pilots? Um, I can never remember.....

I remember seeing something like this a while ago but it also had a video feed..... Does anyone know what I'm talking about or know a link to this?

I remember seeing something like this a while ago but it also had a video feed..... Does anyone know what I'm talking about or know a link to this?
There's definitely things like DVRs out there to use with remote or lipstick cameras, but why not just use a standard miniDV video camera or something similar? What's the application?

There's definitely things like DVRs out there to use with remote or lipstick cameras, but why not just use a standard miniDV video camera or something similar? What's the application?

Just curious... I thought it was neat because they mounted it on the CFIs headset and then the audio was piped in as well. It looked specifically made for that type of operation but I haven't been able to really find anything like it.

Back