Really? In regards to the Geo Prefs.

ATCproMatt

Everyone keeps mentioning Alaska/Guam as like some bad junk place that they offer you because they can't put you in the 2 states you requested...

but just curious, has anyone EVER been not picked for their two places and THEN offered Guam or Alaska?

lol. Just seems like the FAA does it on a regular basis the way everyone talks about it.

I cant remember who exactly, but there are at least two people on here that had that exact thing happen to them. One got Alaska, and one got Guam.

It was in a thread titled something along the lines of, "For people who were selected for places they didnt pick", or something similar.
Having seen it happen, thats why we're all afraid of it.

Everyone keeps mentioning Alaska/Guam as like some bad junk place that they offer you because they can't put you in the 2 states you requested...

but just curious, has anyone EVER been not picked for their two places and THEN offered Guam or Alaska?

lol. Just seems like the FAA does it on a regular basis the way everyone talks about it.

There were a couple of folks from the 2/15 announcement that mentioned getting offered Guam after being passed over for both of their other preferences. My guess is that the FAA doesn't get many takers for that location and just ends up picking a few random people to see who will actually bite.

So some folks have been suggesting that people who are just trying to get in and aren't very picky about where they go, select one of those locations because evidently nobody is putting them down as a preference. Really, the best way to get picked up *IF* you are willing to go anywhere, is to pick a state as a 2nd choice that is a bit off of the radar. States like Florida, California, Colorado, etc., probably get a TON of requests, while some place like New Mexico doesn't, save the people who already live there.

Oic.

Did they actually move there? lol.

I was actually born in Anchorage, Alaska. Both of my parents where Air Force so it really is a great place to live. Very beautiful. It is cold there, but it is a dry cold. Since I live in Arkansas when it gets cold here it kinda feels colder because of all the extra moister. It is weird how that works, but yet it is still kool! ! !;)

ya_rly.jpg

http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-tra...-t-choose.html

Wow i'm like a celebrity, this is nice. . .

I was the one "NOT picked for their two places" and was offered AK instead. The *one* other guy picked for guam declined his offer. I, on the other hand, have accepted the offer to this point, hoping to change locations from within on advice from current controllers including one in AK.

So far, 2 months of calls and emails to OKC have gotten me nowhere. None of the friendly HR ladies wants to lift a finger to help. They all plead ignorance. The designated HR person who is specifically "assigned" to answer my questions, and makes $50K a year to answer them, does not respond to any of my calls or emails. PM me if you want me to name names.

By the way, Alaska isn't a "junk place" that no one wants to go to, it's amazingly beautiful... however, it's just very very expensive to live there, and even more expensive to move there. As a poor married guy, just the logistics of moving there are daunting, and the cost will be a bare MINIMUM of $6,000 and up... and oh-by-the-way not a penny is reimbursed by the FAA.

I've been in contact with a veteran controller at ZAN, here is a quote from one of his emails:

"Most of our trainees are from AK and they are still struggling to survive. It is very expensive to live here. $1,000 a month gets you a total crap hole in the bad part of town. Food is double the price for most items. "

And now you know!

Back