Random Question

Hondo Calrissian

I love chicken wings and beer....
I know this is totally a random question but I was curious....

Are there any part of this forum who are officials for Basketball, Football or any sport? If so what sport do you officiate and what level?

I am a HS basketball official at the Varsity level. I had a chance to go to a college camp but wasn't able to go due to making the decision to get my dispatchers license (which was a better choice).

I officiate a variety of sports throughout the year. As active duty, it fits well as a second income and the associations I'm a part of are understanding when it comes to deploying.

I do HS baseball, basketball, and fast pitch. As well as slow pitch on base during the summer.

Besides, I learned early in my Navy career... I'm not good enough to play anything. Officiating let's me be out there still and make a little extra on the side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have to admit, I do like the extra income it brings in and it is fun but I don't do it for the money, I do it because I like it and I want to work my way up to either the NBA or D-I but it is hard to get to those levels....I think of it as like being a dispatcher, there are officials there who are willing to help you move up.

MercFC, have you had any weird situations in basketball this season?

Haven't called any games this year... Deployments have been pretty regular as we're short handed at the moment.

The association I'm with has members ranging all the way up to Big 12 women's and NBA-D league officials. Great group of guys trying to pay it forward to younger officials.

Been doing it for 4 years. Haven't broke into varsity. Don't think it's lack of ability, just lack of time to devote. Hopefully, when I retire I'll change that.

I do both HS and College games for Basketball for the last 10 years, I do more HS than college but do work a few D-1 games during the season, I have gotten some game in past years in the field of 64.

Weird situation:

I had my first double ejection with coaches in HS a few weeks ago.. all happened in the first 2 quarters.

One coach tripped me intentionally on a fast break which I was the lead on the play...resulted in automatic ejection (2 minutes into the game) and the other coach came out of the coaches box on a charge call and then he threw his chair during a time out...most bizarre thing my crew have seen.

Double Ejection?!?! Crazy!!

I had a charge call against team A and then right as I blew the whistle, a player from team B flopped....

Ruling: Technical foul, turnover to team A, 2 shots plus the ball.....

Back