Raising the flaps in the flare (part XVII)

Space Monkey

Seems to me that for a putt-putt pilot even vaguely to consider the effects of flaps in calculating landing distance requirements is a bit like a sweepy-jet pilot even vaguely to consider the effects of thrust reversers in calculating landing distance requirements.

Last edited:

Space Monkey

Lessee, the thing has a turbine, total glass panel, SV, reverse and freekin' air conditioning. I think he's ok considering he's not dying of heat stroke in some clapped out 185.
I'm pretty sure that the late-model 208s include the money for nothing and the chicks for free as part of the standard equipment package.

Richman

That's "Lord Garth" to you
I'm pretty sure that the late-model 208s include the money for nothing and the chicks for free as part of the standard equipment package.
For what Textron is charging, it better come with a sweet lav, with the 3000xTreme butt cleanser supreme that gently cleanses your bum with the milk of the South American Nik-Nik bug.

hattrick

Raising the flaps in the flare is foolish in my ever so humble opinion. Sure you could use it to plop it down at your desired touchdown point, but if you flew the airplane correctly from the get go you should be touching down there anyway. The only thing your really doing is compensating for flying your approach too fast and missing your mark. As far as dumping flaps on touchdown, well there are a lot of theories strongly held in the "bush" communities. I would argue it has a fair bit to do with airplane weight. In a cub where I can mechanically dump them yes it is absolutely beneficial. In a King Air (on very short runways) at the point I'm touching down the wing is no longer flying and raising the flaps is slow. So by the point the flaps are past the point of mostly generating drag I am sure as hell not flying anymore. With that said I legitimately don't think it makes any difference as the damn things don't move that fast anyway. Also most of my coworkers strongly advocate raising immediately on touchdown and that works for them. Like Roger said, "shrug" what matters is what works for you. In short spots it better not involve trying to salvage an approach by means such as dumping flaps at the last second.

Space Monkey

Raising the flaps in the flare is foolish in my ever so humble opinion. Sure you could use it to plop it down at your desired touchdown point, but if you flew the airplane correctly from the get go you should be touching down there anyway. The only thing your really doing is compensating for flying your approach too fast and missing your mark. As far as dumping flaps on touchdown, well there are a lot of theories strongly held in the "bush" communities. I would argue it has a fair bit to do with airplane weight. In a cub where I can mechanically dump them yes it is absolutely beneficial. In a King Air (on very short runways) at the point I'm touching down the wing is no longer flying and raising the flaps is slow. So by the point the flaps are past the point of mostly generating drag I am sure as hell not flying anymore. With that said I legitimately don't think it makes any difference as the damn things don't move that fast anyway. Also most of my coworkers strongly advocate raising immediately on touchdown and that works for them. Like Roger said, "shrug" what matters is what works for you. In short spots it better not involve trying to salvage an approach by means such as dumping flaps at the last second.
Ah ha! You've resurrected the ancient philosophical koan!

If there was a strongly held theory in the bush, would it be a theory, or merely Bushcraft?

And another: Is the Bush a community? Or is it the Bush precisely because it is NOT a community?

While you're working those out, here's a distractor: "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

Last edited:

Space Monkey

Sure that wasn't a Quest Kodiak?

'Cos the "Quest" logo on the yokes made me think that.
I'm not going back to look, but if so... Well Viewed. Good Eye!!

I don't know, I just looked out the front and the salient stuff: ONE prop driven by ONE turbine in a high wing with a big bright and shiny screen in front of the driver. To me? Same difference.

Go ahead and fight me if you like. Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirts. So many times that, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens

I don't know, I just looked out the front and the salient stuff: ONE prop driven by ONE turbine in a high wing with a big bright and shiny screen in front of the driver. To me? Same difference.

Go ahead and fight me if you like. Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirts. So many times that, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
You misunderstand. :)

The 208 gives you money for nothing and chicks for free.

The Kodiak's more of a Walk of Life sorta bird....

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun

Your comprehension is even worse.
You talked about a Caravan, the video is a Kodiak, but Wxdagain and I were talking about the Pilatus.

Space Monkey

Sooo sweet! :)

Space Monkey

Your comprehension is even worse.
You talked about a Caravan, the video is a Kodiak, but Wxdagain and I were talking about the Pilatus.
What now? You really want me to start parsing and differentiating the subtle nuances between the single engine T-props?!? Really?

You're picking apart pickup trucks.
Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet?
Who the hell really gives a Phuck?
Just drive and utter, "Namaste".

Cherokee_Cruiser

In Alaska bush flying, if you lose your engine and crash, the bears eat you.

In Papua New Guinea bush flying, if you lose your engine and crash, do the locals eat you? :oops:
I see someone has seen 'the Green Inferno.'

Seriously, Eli Roth is a disturbed individual. o_O