Raising the flaps in the flare (part XVII)

USMCmech

Always fun to see mud thrown up on the windshhield when the prop goes into Beta. He'll need to find a rain shower to wash that off on the ride home.

I know it works, but I don't like the toggle switch checklist that MAF and JAARS use (I don't like the MFD checklists in modern glass panels either). It just seems like overly complicated way to accomplish what a simple piece of paper does perfectly.

Last edited:

Space Monkey

Skip to 17:50:

I’m lookin at you @ppragman @Roger Roger @z987k etc.

(Yes this is a • post, but it’s also a cool video and I hope it makes a few of you smile in light of disappointing current events. :) )
There I was... Two miles out on final - runway in sight - on speed - with a whopping 5 knot A/S variance via my 6 second G-tape trend machine... and I. Just. Couldn't. Stick. The landing in my turbine 182!!

The level of self-congratulatory, self-referential awareness is stunning.

More important point.... My brother is a biologist/virologist. For the past 15-18 years, he and his colleagues have been massively curtailed in their ability to share important academic/professional information and insights - even among their professional community of fellows and colleagues. That's largely because of retarded 9/11 overreactions.

But, you know, Biology is not the only endeavor to be negatively influenced by budget-seeking overreactions to 9/11.

Aviation is another domain that's been phucked. Given that the 9/11 horrors were indirectly effected by aviation assets and not biological weapons... and, because of that indirect link, our industry is now submerged in a 30 foot deep layer of security theater molasses, HTF is it that recently-student pilots and know-nothing idiots like Jerry get to give rather comprehensive "how-to-fly" lessons via Social Media outlets??? I mean, where is DHS and TSA??

This is especially galling given the current fact that if a CFI teaches the wrong person (meaning ANY person) the slightest bit of aviation knowledge without kollecting and keeping the Right records, that CFI can be arrested and fined up to $10,000 per day per wrong person! Yet, some random dude can post a YouTube vid that provides almost any motivated person the ability to suss out how to fly a Caravan...which granted, is not that tough, but still.

I mean, I think all the theatrically-inspired proscriptions on transparency are spherically stupid. I'm just pointing out the cognitive dissonance surrounding the double standards between in-person flight training and YouTube flight training.

One of us could probably be a social media super hero, make a million dollars, and never pay taxes if one of us just posted the Mx manual for the trip-7 online. Beyond that, I'm sworn not to speak! ... nor would I - even without the swearing - even if ...maaaaaybe I had that manual. That's kind of my point: decent people act decently and with care and consideration for one another - If not for righteousness, simply because they appreciate that one day... they made need other folks to do the same for them.

Last edited:

Baronman

Awesome video! Never flown anything like that but to my untrained eye he looks like he knows what he’s doing.

Space Monkey

Lol Missionary bush. Giggity.
That's Bush bush to you.... and rural Alaska pilots. Sometimes in Alaska, you fly a Beaver to the Bush, or leave the bush in a Beaver. That can result in tense moments of jealousy from the local talent.

Last edited:

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
I'd have no problem doing that approach in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I still pull the flaps on touchdown in the PC12. Flaps up, ground idle, beta is a nice flow across the console. Bonus point, it’s a good habit pattern in the Lear but substitute spoilers for flaps. If only I could get used to fingering the spoiler switch with my left hand...

Last edited:

jrh

Cool video.

I don't have much experience with this kind of flying, but the little I do have is with old timers flying old 182s and SuperCubs and stuff. Doing it by feel using conventional panels.

This pilot is making a big deal about the tailwind which he seems to be reading from the G1000. I don't know if I'd trust a G1000 wind display to be accurate enough when every knot counts. Is this common in the bush flying scene with new aircraft nowadays?

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Cool video.

I don't have much experience with this kind of flying, but the little I do have is with old timers flying old 182s and SuperCubs and stuff. Doing it by feel using conventional panels.

This pilot is making a big deal about the tailwind which he seems to be reading from the G1000. I don't know if I'd trust a G1000 wind display to be accurate enough when every knot counts. Is this common in the bush flying scene with new aircraft nowadays?
Hardcore mission flying folks have been using GS read outs at Vref to figure tailwind for decades. I remember talking to an MAF or JAARS pilot about it, at certain strips they would get the aircraft configured at approach speed and check ground speed at a certain point in the approach. They had a certain GS that was a go/no-go point where if your GS at ref was any higher you had too much tailwind and had to go around. This is at least that accurate.

Last edited: