Race in the cockpit

karpediem

Hey guys. I m an African American in my mid 20s currently working on my PPL hoping to go all the way to the majors, and I have a question for those who work for a regional or major airline. Do you guys know of or see any initiative by your outfits to hire a diverse group of individuals or does it just go by the luck of the draw. Would it be an advantage to be in the minority or at the end of the day does it just comes down to the person who has the most hours and experience? Thanks

Just out of curiosity, how would you change your plan to reach your goal based on the potential answers to that question?

BTW, I'm not at a 121 so I couldn't give you an answer.

(Edit to rephrase)

My airline hires people without discrimination to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, favorite Ben & Jerry's Flavor, disability or sexual orientation. As far as diversity initiatives, we favor people with a healthy pulse and a few hundred hours of Pilot Wings 64 experience. :)

It wouldn't. I just like to know what I'm up against. I feel like the aviation field is just like the cockpit. Everything is done behind closed doors, any insight would be a good thing.

Would you want to be riding in the back of a plane with the most qualified and capable crew up front or one that was hired based off of the fact that their skin color put them in the minority.

It shouldn't matter one bit your skin color but in the end we know that's not how it is.

I would study and learn as much as you can and don't assume you'll get hired because you're black.

Once again, I don't have airline experience, but, I think what you are up against is the fact that there are more pilots than jobs at the moment.

In the last six months a Hispanic female and an African American male from my local airport, both of whom I have taken dual from in the past, got their first regional jobs. I didn't get the impression that they felt they were "up against" anything but demonstrating that they could do the job.

That's all I got for you! Good luck

I'm pretty sure none of the applications make you state your race(that would be illegal). If you're qualified and get called for an interview they don't know what anything you are that has no bearing on the job. To be honest I highly doubt with the size of these companies you're going to see any preferential treatment in any direction.

Being female hasn't helped me pass any checkrides or landed me an awesome mainline gig working 2 days a week and making six figures with only 50 hours of flight time. But, working very hard got me through the stepping stones I'm still taking towards a mainline goal. No one I fly with looks at pilots as female or male, African American or any other race; they look at people as pilots who are either capable or morons.

I'm with mogley on this one. I don't want to fly with or be flown by someone hired to fill some kind of quota.

Seems like my question was misunderstood. I am not asking for the affirmative action stats or hiring mantras. I agree that it shouldn't matter who you are, just be based on your qualifications. But at the same time we do not live in a perfect world, not everyone has the same contacts and connections to the airlines as the next guy. But again thanks for the feedback

Seems like my question was misunderstood. I am not asking for the affirmative action stats or hiring mantras. I agree that it shouldn't matter who you are, just be based on your qualifications. But at the same time we do not live in a perfect world, not everyone has the same contacts and connections to the airlines as the next guy. But again thanks for the feedback
Your connections will help you, and that's up to you to make them.

Would you want to be riding in the back of a plane with the most qualified and capable crew up front or one that was hired based off of the fact that their skin color put them in the minority.

Is he riding in the back of the plane because he's black? Thats racist. :)

To the OP, it doesn't matter who you are. Apply, interview, get hired if you do well; don't get hired if you don't do well. End of story.

I think the relevant thing is that your race will not hurt you at all, and could potentially be a positive - but I'm not sure it would be like it was 10 or 20 years ago. That said, if you have a great attitude, work really hard, are conscientious and network really well...you'll be able to eat Raman for years and come here to JC and complain about life at the regionals! Sincerely - good luck and enjoy the ride.

As far as diversity initiatives, we favor people with a healthy pulse and a few hundred hours of Pilot Wings 64 experience.

Naw man, the N64 version just had that crappy gyrocopter. Ye Olde SNES Pilotwings had you flying that taildragger biplane. Way more valuable time.

Won't really help, shouldn't really hurt.

You are not going to land a gig with FedEx with a wet commercial just because you're black, nor are they going to burn crosses at your interview either.

Think of it as a non-factor, for all intents and purposes.

Won't really help, shouldn't really hurt.

You are not going to land a gig with FedEx with a wet commercial just because you're black, nor are they going to burn crosses at your interview either.

I heard you got special treatment.........

....for your rotary wing time. :)

Unless you're looking to be based in Puerto Rico, in which case being a native with strong Spanish language skills could be seen as a plus.

Within the pilot ranks, I've never known race to be a factor otherwise. Within the flight attendant ranks, it may be another story as some airlines like to staff certain flights with "locals" to help with communication and customs paperwork. Again, that may not be a hiring issue as much as a "hey, you're from ABC? Can you work XYZ flight?"

Good luck with all your ratings!

Trust me.
Airlines don't care if your purple.

The biggest factor, can you pass training? If you give the HR/board the impression you can, you're hired.

Back