quick question about going from enlisted to pilot in reserves

Adam

Im 25, about a year away from a bachelors, will have my private license soon. I spent 8 years active duty and recently joined reserves, do I have a chance of a pilot slot in the reserves or guard or am i too old? Thanks

Your not to old, but your getting there quick.
I now the coast guard will not take you with that much previous Active duty time. Can't say for sure about the other sevices. I think it is usually up to the unit you are trying to get into to decide.

[ QUOTE ]
Your not to old, but your getting there quick.
I now the coast guard will not take you with that much previous Active duty time. Can't say for sure about the other sevices. I think it is usually up to the unit you are trying to get into to decide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best chance for you would be to try for your own unit, if it's a flying unit. Most reserve/guard like to select from within for someone they know, have worked with, etc, over selecting someone off the street.

Im a mechanic for a flying unit, so i guess thats good, who should i talk to? the commander of the flying squadron? Is there anything I can do now to get started before I actually have the bachelors? When you apply, do you apply to a squadron directly or does the USAF decide where you go?

[ QUOTE ]
Im a mechanic for a flying unit, so i guess thats good, who should i talk to? the commander of the flying squadron? Is there anything I can do now to get started before I actually have the bachelors? When you apply, do you apply to a squadron directly or does the USAF decide where you go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk to some of the pilots, and express your interest; even ask them who you should talk to in your unit. In your selection board, those are some of the guys that will be evaluating/interviewing you, so it's good to let them "get a feel" for your personality.

Applying to reserve units for flying, you apply directly to the unit, since the unit will be the ones funding your training.

I dont think I mentioned this but I am enlisted so what would i have to go threw to become an officer or is it all the same process if im going for a pilot slot?

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think I mentioned this but I am enlisted so what would i have to go threw to become an officer or is it all the same process if im going for a pilot slot?

[/ QUOTE ]

To get the officer commission first:

If you're in a AF Reserve unit, you'll go through USAF Officer Training School for 12 weeks at Maxwell AFB, Alabama followed by 4-week Air and Space Basic Course at the same location. Then 1 year pilot training.

If you're in an Air National Guard unit, you go to ANG Academy of Military Science at McGhee-Tyson Airport, Knoxville, Tennessee for 6-weeks to get your ANG commission, then go to 1 year pilot training.

I guess i better start networking!! the good part is that i know a good amount of the active duty pilots so maybe they could spread the word also, thanks for the great info, i better get cracking with school too, what is the age cutoff for pilots?

[ QUOTE ]
I guess i better start networking!! the good part is that i know a good amount of the active duty pilots so maybe they could spread the word also, thanks for the great info, i better get cracking with school too, what is the age cutoff for pilots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Still 27 1/2 age cutoff; active-duty or reserves.

The networking will help, especially in a reserve unit. Good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
is guard the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same age cut-off for all reserve components, guard included there, as well as the active duty.

Guess I should say "age cutoff to enter pilot training."
smile.gif

Thanks again Mike, got any 2 seater A-10's you could take me for a ride in ??
grin.gif
grin.gif
............Hey you never know, I had to try!!

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks again Mike, got any 2 seater A-10's you could take me for a ride in ??
grin.gif
grin.gif
............Hey you never know, I had to try!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Only one two-seater A-10B was ever built. Intended as a night/adverse weather variant, the USAF never bought it nor felt it needed it. The sole two-seater still sits at Edwards AFB in their museum.

Thats gotta strange flying a jet solo for the first time, rather than training in a 2 seater

[ QUOTE ]
Thats gotta strange flying a jet solo for the first time, rather than training in a 2 seater

[/ QUOTE ]

Take ground school. There was no sim when I was going through. And get booted out the door and chased by an IP in another jet. All in a day's work.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it? Cause Ive heard a few different ages

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the age cutoff is still 27 1/2 to enter pilot training, but it could possibly have changed, I'd have to ask around for the correct poop.

I'm going through the same thing you are right now. I'm a c5 loadmaster in the reserves. You need to apply directly to the unit. to do that you will need to have the results of your AFOQT, BAT, and a physical. Im not sure if the degree is required for the interview. They will want you to be no older than 28 when you interview because the max age is 30 to start pilot training. First step would be to contact a reserve recruiter and take the AFOQT, BAT, and physical. Most units require you to have your private pilot's license before they hire you.

Back