Questions about BGI

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
I'm currently studying for the CFI initial ground and am considering taking the Basic Ground Instructor test. My thought is this - the IRS allows you to deduct training expenses once you're an instructor for subsequent ratings. Usually this means that someone who gets a CFI can write off training forwards the CFII or MEI. But based on the IRS guidance, I would argue that someone who holds a BGI could deduct subsequent CFI training expenses (going to check with AOPA on this).

I'm curious - is the BGI exam similar/the same to the CFI written? If I'm studying for it, will that cover me for the BGI? I'm employed as an adjunct faculty member at a local community college so I'm exempt from the FOI portion, which makes it even more easy to just take the BGI exam now.

Thoughts?

I'm currently studying for the CFI initial ground and am considering taking the Basic Ground Instructor test. My thought is this - the IRS allows you to deduct training expenses once you're an instructor for subsequent ratings. Usually this means that someone who gets a CFI can write off training forwards the CFII or MEI. But based on the IRS guidance, I would argue that someone who holds a BGI could deduct subsequent CFI training expenses (going to check with AOPA on this).

I'm curious - is the BGI exam similar/the same to the CFI written? If I'm studying for it, will that cover me for the BGI? I'm employed as an adjunct faculty member at a local community college so I'm exempt from the FOI portion, which makes it even more easy to just take the BGI exam now.

Thoughts?
It was the exact same test when I got my AGI. That was 17 years ago though so I'm not sure if it changed.

Thoughts?

The taxes are really a question for a CPA. Which I should ask one, since I'm now a seaplane CFI -- I guess that ride might be a tax writeoff for me?

Anyways, don't bother with the BGI, the AGI is basically the same question pool as the CFI written (plus a random glider or balloon question thrown in), so just do that. And you might as well take the CFI written the same day. I remember studying for about 10 to 15 minutes in the parking lot in Dallas 15 years ago. Doubt it has gotten any harder.

Yeh +1 for the AGI. It’s pretty close to CFIA. Same for IGI, IRA.

worth deducting, those writers aren’t cheap (Anymore)

Back