Question

Gaius cassius

Hello everyone,

I initially got my second class medical a few years back. Later on I saw something about ADHD being disqualifying. then I found out from my Mom a few months that when I was in kindergarten which was when I was 5 or 6 that my school requested that I get tested for ADHD. So my parents took me to a psychologist for the testing. Here is the problem though I don't remember going to this psychologist since it was over 15 years ago at this point(I am now 21) and when asking my mom if the psychologist said I was diagnosed she said she does not remember and that she has no copy of a report since it was a paper report and she doesn't even know who the person was that did the testing. As far as I know I have never taken on any meds for ADHD. However my mother had accommodations made for me in school (because she is a teacher and knows how to play the system) but according to her and what I have read you don't need a diagnosis for these accommodations. Currently I am currently a CFI and the not knowing if I was diagnosed is bothering me because I am worried that if God forbid anything happens and the FAA goes looking into my old medical records that they will find something that says I was diagnosed with ADHD that I do not know about and tries to say I lied and take away my licenses. I have talked to AOPA and another medical consulting company and said i should't worry about it. Just wondering what anyone else would do in this situation.

I can't imagine that this will be problematic for you. You have already said you were never on medications and obviously you were able to complete your schooling and all flight training successfully. Because you were never diagnosed with ADHD (you would have had follow up visits) you are not being dishonest by not checking the "other disease" box in the "have you ever" section. Being referred as a kindergartner/1st grader and getting a good bill of health after an eval should not pose a threat to your medical. If you are worried mention it on your next medical during the verbal interview. The AME will enter it in Box 60 (AME comments) and it will be in the record that you mentioned it going forward.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated AME
www.kansascityame.com

Back