Question to airline interviewers

RPaulson

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but here we go.
[FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][FONT=ARIAL,]I'm 22 and on my way to become a professional pilot, I have gotten most ratings done, and also an associates degree. I have also been recently fired from a job at a major electronics retail which shall remain nameless. I got fired for "almost theft" I was going to steal something, but then I felt overwhelmed with guilt and panic, and I ditched the product. I got caught once they found the product and checked tapes. They didn't charge me with theft, since it didn't occur, but I did get "terminated" from that job. I was also explained that when applying for jobs, they must always check references from jobs you got fired from.
This is something I have never done before, and feel extremely guilty about. I'm also afraid I have tainted my professional future for ever. I worked at this store for 4 years, since I'd turned 18, so it's also a major part of my resume that I soiled.
My question is, how much will that affect me during the interview and application process from small regional airlines, all the way to the bigger and better jobs? Is this something I can wait out or repair somehow?
Please, any information or experienced opinion is greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I highly doubt this is something that would ever prevent you from having a career as a pilot. As a matter of fact, i'd be shocked if it did.

That said, I think the general tone from these types of threads over the past couple weeks is that there are those who have, and those who haven't. There are a lot of those who haven't, and you my friend, are one who have.

Your going to have to work harder than others because of this mistake, but I certainly would not label you as unemployable.

[FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][FONT=ARIAL,] I was also explained that when applying for jobs, they must always check references from jobs you got fired from. [/FONT][/FONT]

In theory, yes, but many don't. They mean to, but somehow never get around to it. Also, many employers are afraid to give out information other than "yes, he worked here", because giving negative commentary opens them up to lawsuits.

Someone else will probably know if the airline process is more thorough, but the most that many non-aviation companies would do is verify the dates of employment.

I would get forms about former flight instructors I had when I was a GM at a flight school. It would have me list their dates of employment and would ask "is this person available for rehire?" This was their backhanded way of asking if you have been fired.

Since you are only 22...possibly you could just account for your time during the last four years as being a student...and not even bother with the aforementioned employment. Employers will be looking for gaps in your employement history...and I would think student would suffice for the past four years.

However, honesty is usually the best course of action.

When it comes to airline resumes and applications I never put down any job that was not flying related. First reason is because they really don't matter. Second, I have worked for SOOOOOO many different places that my resume would be five pages long.

When I was applying for my first airline job all I listed for my employment history were the various flight schools I worked at. Once I started applying for subsequent airline jobs (I have worked for four airlines) all I listed were past airline jobs.

If you were in school (high school, college, flight school) just put down that you were a student during that time. Everyone has had part-time jobs while in school and airlines just don't care about them.

Well. My advice is, since you are 22, I am assuming that you don't have enough history to hide that specific time. I would be honest, say that it was a stupid mistake, you tried to quickly correct the incident, and accepted responsibility and the punishment for your actions. I would also include that you learned your lesson and have matured since then and it will never happen again.

However, another side of the coin, as long as you were never charged with a crime, this really is the area they wouldn't focus on unless something specific caught their eye. So a background my only reveal that you and the company in question parted ways in less than favorable conditions. This still could work in your favor. If you choose not to include this just keep in mind that if you are specifically ask, don't lie. As I just said, state that you learned your lesson and have matured since then and it will never happen again.

Youth in this case is a good thing. Make sure that your flight information (school, checkrides, evaluations) are in good standing. As the previous post stated, be ready to work harder to prove yourself. If this is the only thing you have in your history, it will pass.

Good luck to you. :rawk:

I don't know why people seem to think that getting fired is such a horrible thing. There are 35K people at BofA/Merrill who will be out on the streets soon. Do you think they'll never get a job again? NO!

Put the job down on your resume, and if they ask why you left, just say it didn't work out.

It's the truth, isn't it?

Couple options:

Leave it out. Did you work any other jobs during this period you could use instead?

Include it and hope for the best... that they don't call for the reference and or they issue is not brought up.

OR

Call them up and discuss it directly. They owe you that much, you having given four years to them...

I think any choice is pretty low-risk as far as not getting a job down the road.

There are 35K people at BofA/Merrill who will be out on the streets soon. Do you think they'll never get a job again? NO!

They didn't steal anything, so that's not an analogous situation. Likewise, no decent interviewer would let an interviewee get away with "it didn't work out". In fact, it's almost a smart-ass answer.

I would vote for leaving the job off the resume as long as it doesn't leave an awkward gap. As for attributing the near-theft to youthful indiscretion, I don't buy that from a 22-year-old. I have a hard time imagining an interview going well if the subject came up.

I was an airline captain after having been fired 3 times. The first when I was dumb and 18 and didn't care about my grocery store job anymore. The 2nd when I was dumb and 20 and took my dad on a pizza delivery run even though the manager warned me if the owner found out, I'd be canned. The 3rd when I was dumb and 28 and didn't take my transition training serious enough. It happens. You learn. You persevere.

Most major retailers have rules about what can be said when some calls about a former employee. When I was a manager for PETSMART all we were allowed to say is that the person did work here but they no longer work here. We were not allowed to say why the person no longer works with us or if they are eligible for rehire. It has to do with people sueing former employer for slander.

I have done Colgan interviews for First Officer candidates.

To be honest, all I care about is...

Education
Experience
Personality (don't be a toolbag)
Simulator Evaluation

If you had been arrested then that would have been an issue.

I hope you learned from your lesson. Losing your careers isn't worth stealing an iPod. Don't be stupid. I GUARANTEE IT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU.

Good luck, bro!

Back